Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Travel Restrictions To Cuba Being Eased! >

Travel Restrictions To Cuba Being Eased!

Notices

Travel Restrictions To Cuba Being Eased!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
They also float better

Pisses me off that they sink and destroy all the cool crap they come over here on.

I was camped out on my buddies 53 foot sailboat doing some diving for a couple weeks in the Dry Tortugas about 6 years ago and that is when the Cubans figured out that Wetfoot Dry foot applies to the Tortugas also.

We had some crazy boats landing in those 2 weeks they had them stacked up at the Fort. CG came in with the big Cutter Kodiak and sat off the island to blockade after it became a Freefor all that few weeks we were there.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I think you will find a bunch of rusty junk pieced together with tractor parts........remember embargo started in 1961, no American parts imported after then. What do you think they kept those old cars running with?
FYI, most if not all replacement parts for "American Cars" are made outside the US, typically China, Mexico etc...none of which have a trade embargo against Cuba. The US embargo as far as replacement auto parts just meant they could buy them cheaper elsewhere directly vs buying through the US (if there was no embargo).

Even if they weren't made in other countries they could still easily buy through other countries (American Vehicles are sold and supported worldwide) so the embargo is/was unless in this regard.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 12-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The precedents this fidiot is setting tells the rest of the world, kidnap an american, be patient, and America will CAVE. If they don't, just cut their head off and find another one now that you their attention.

Don't get me wrong. I WOULD LOVE TO GO TO CUBA. I want to go to Cuba but this is WRONG WRONG WRONG. Obama is grasping at straws trying his best to make his legacy. This, like everything else he has done, will come back to haunt him as being the absolute worst president this country has ever seen.

Case in point, the White House has denied that there is a connection between the three spies released yesterday and the tree hugger we got back. FLAT OUT DENIES, period end of story. Then this fidiot goes on the air claiming the Cubans released this guy to open up diplomatic relations. BS

We are shipping Gitmo detainees back to the middle east so fast it will make your head spin. What are they doing? Recruting for ISIS, ISIL, Taliban whatever you want to call it. And this fidiot still claims we are not at war with these people even though he is sending MORE troops over there every single month.

AMERICA = No Spine Congrats Libtards, you have "wussified" this nation. Don't tell me you are mad when someone gets thier head cut off or a soldier dies. YOU SET THE PRECENDENT FOR IT TO HAPPEN. If you deny that, get your head out of your A$$...
Old 12-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
FYI, most if not all replacement parts for "American Cars" are made outside the US, typically China, Mexico etc...none of which have a trade embargo against Cuba. The US embargo as far as replacement auto parts just meant they could buy them cheaper elsewhere directly vs buying through the US (if there was no embargo).

Even if they weren't made in other countries they could still easily buy through other countries (American Vehicles are sold and supported worldwide) so the embargo is/was unless in this regard.

Cheers,

Dave
While your statement is 100% true for today's cars........not sure I agree back 50 years ago when this started. There is also an issue of currency, they weren't rich by any standards so keeping that 57 Belair factory stock wasn't a priority but just keeping it running as cheap as possible was.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
While your statement is 100% true for today's cars........not sure I agree back 50 years ago when this started. There is also an issue of currency, they weren't rich by any standards so keeping that 57 Belair factory stock wasn't a priority but just keeping it running as cheap as possible was.
Just read an article that said spare parts for the 50's cars are readily available in Cuba. If you look at the restoration marketplace, a lot of stuff is made in China now, unfortunately.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

When we were there one of the questions we asked them was how they kept their cars running. They are very ingenious and make what they can. Also found it interesting that a lot of parts from that era were interchangeable between the Big 3 manufacturers. Also as stated parts would come in thru a third country. Saw lots of duct tape being put to use as well.
BTB
Old 12-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
Just read an article that said spare parts for the 50's cars are readily available in Cuba. If you look at the restoration marketplace, a lot of stuff is made in China now, unfortunately.
The local paper (S. FL) said the automotive, construction and healthcare needs are the big three industries to be catered to in the short term and S. Florida should be able to prosper from the opening of Cuba.

There are plenty of old cars over there but dreams of finding a 59 Caddy or 57 Chevy in mint shape, ready for concours shows for a few thousand dollars isn't happening!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
When we were there one of the questions we asked them was how they kept their cars running. They are very ingenious and make what they can. Also found it interesting that a lot of parts from that era were interchangeable between the Big 3 manufacturers. Also as stated parts would come in thru a third country. Saw lots of duct tape being put to use as well.
BTB
Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
BTB
I suspect the salt air living for 50 years isn't helping the "Cuban Collectible Car Market" either!

One of the interesting pics you had from your trip was of an old Harley, it looked great for its age!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Million Dollar Gull Wing Mercedes? Could not save just pic.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...mercedes-benz/
Old 12-18-2014, 01:26 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Million Dollar Gull Wing Mercedes? Could not save just pic.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...mercedes-benz/
Wow, someone will pay good money for that as long as the VIN is intact. Pretty much the only thing they need to have to "restore" an early E-Type Jag, Ia m sure that would be the case with a Gullwing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.