Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Travel Restrictions To Cuba Being Eased! >

Travel Restrictions To Cuba Being Eased!

Notices

Travel Restrictions To Cuba Being Eased!

Old 12-18-2014, 01:37 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CraneHillFast

Case in point, the White House has denied that there is a connection between the three spies released yesterday and the tree hugger we got back. FLAT OUT DENIES, period end of story. Then this fidiot goes on the air claiming the Cubans released this guy to open up diplomatic relations. BS
From the speech I listened to yesterday

"Today, Alan returned home –- reunited with his family at long last. Alan was released by the Cuban government on humanitarian grounds. Separately, in exchange for the three Cuban agents, Cuba today released one of the most important intelligence agents that the United States has ever had in Cuba, and who has been imprisoned for nearly two decades. This man, whose sacrifice has been known to only a few, provided America with the information that allowed us to arrest the network of Cuban agents that included the men transferred to Cuba today, as well as other spies in the United States. This man is now safely on our shores. "

Source http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...policy-changes

Last edited by Wobble; 12-18-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I
Originally Posted by Wobble
From the speech I listened to yesterday

"Today, Alan returned home –- reunited with his family at long last. Alan was released by the Cuban government on humanitarian grounds. Separately, in exchange for the three Cuban agents, Cuba today released one of the most important intelligence agents that the United States has ever had in Cuba, and who has been imprisoned for nearly two decades. This man, whose sacrifice has been known to only a few, provided America with the information that allowed us to arrest the network of Cuban agents that included the men transferred to Cuba today, as well as other spies in the United States. This man is now safely on our shores. "

Source http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...policy-changes
While your quote is correct I guess I should have elaborated more on what precedent this sets. It is my understanding that there is zero grounds in our law that allows a convicted criminal to be released for humanitarian reasons. If they r standing trial or in jail but not convicted by trial by jury they can be deported or released. When there is a pardon issued can they be released. They refuse to answer the question or have refused so far as I am writing this.

So. It brings me back to my point of precedents. This is wrong and was sold to the American people as a humanitarian kum-by-ya bs. If they were pardoned shame on the White House. If they weren't, they broke the law and set a dangerous precedent. Some are going to ask, what difference does it make? It makes a huge difference when trying to deal diplomatically with other countries. Once you break or bend one law, what difference does it make in the future and why even have the to begin with.

Again, I'm all for talking with Cuba but do it the right way. They have a terrible history especially when it comes to Russia. Even more so now do we need to do it the right way so they know we r serious. Now we just look like clowns. I say we strike while the Russian economy is now in the toilet and do it the correct way. Not some back door bs, sell a basket of humanitarian goods that don't and won't exist.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I suspect the salt air living for 50 years isn't helping the "Cuban Collectible Car Market" either!

One of the interesting pics you had from your trip was of an old Harley, it looked great for its age!
1937 Harley. Car parked behind it is a KIA. Saw a few of those as well as patched up Lada's and of course the vintage US cars of 50's etc.

BTB
Attached Thumbnails Travel Restrictions To Cuba Being Eased!-cuba-harley-1.jpg   Travel Restrictions To Cuba Being Eased!-cuba-harley-2.jpg  
Old 12-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Registered

Really not trying to stir the pot. If we would have come out yesterday and just said we are going to start talking to Cuba about trade, humanitarian, diplomatic, travel etc I would and still would today be all about it. It was done incorrectly and the poeple were used as pawns and the American people were misled all for the legacy of one person. Bad idea. I hope this can and will be salvaged correctly but I have little faith in both sides of the isle getting anything done. The Cuban people deserve better but something tells me just like the Chinese only a select few will benefit.

I am now stepping down off my soapbox, where did I sit that mohito?
Old 12-18-2014, 02:42 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CraneHillFast
I

While your quote is correct I guess I should have elaborated more on what precedent this sets. It is my understanding that there is zero grounds in our law that allows a convicted criminal to be released for humanitarian reasons. If they r standing trial or in jail but not convicted by trial by jury they can be deported or released. When there is a pardon issued can they be released. They refuse to answer the question or have refused so far as I am writing this.

So. It brings me back to my point of precedents. This is wrong and was sold to the American people as a humanitarian kum-by-ya bs. If they were pardoned shame on the White House. If they weren't, they broke the law and set a dangerous precedent. Some are going to ask, what difference does it make? It makes a huge difference when trying to deal diplomatically with other countries. Once you break or bend one law, what difference does it make in the future and why even have the to begin with.

Again, I'm all for talking with Cuba but do it the right way. They have a terrible history especially when it comes to Russia. Even more so now do we need to do it the right way so they know we r serious. Now we just look like clowns. I say we strike while the Russian economy is now in the toilet and do it the correct way. Not some back door bs, sell a basket of humanitarian goods that don't and won't exist.
I am curious as to the timing with regard to Russia's more belligerent stance and overtures to Cuba recently. Seems like an easy way to head off Russia's ambitions in the Gulf of Mexico and benefit the Prez's legacy. Time will tell.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
Seems like an easy way to head off Russia's ambitions in the Gulf of Mexico and benefit the Prez's legacy. Time will tell.
it would actually be quite the contrary. It is hard to take credit for something that you do not believe in nor do you endorse. He can take zero credit for the Russian economy hitting the skids.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

putin in on a multi billion dollar shopping spree right now as we speak. looking for weapons, weapons and more weapons. cant trust either government (cuba/russia), never going to be able too. the worst of them all is our current commander (if you want to call him that) he will do the opposite of what's good for the country. lets not forget, he wanted to use drones on his own americans. sounds like a dictator to me. i could go on for hours about all of the unspeakable things this jerk has done to break this country down and try to divide it
Old 12-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered

For a long time I have heard some rumors that Mr. Obama was going to move torward the normalization of relations with Cuba , and just this week the rumors that I have been hearing about for years are quickly coming to pass. I at this time have a giant mix of feeling over this situation . This is not what I want touch upon on this forum. I would like to propose that when the oppertunities makes itself available to travel there . Lets do that . As Of yet travel to Cuba by Americans is limited . When the travel restrictions are lifted let go there . I propose that we have a Powerboat run to Cuba . To celebrate Rum drinks Cigars and Salsa music dancing till we can not stand up anymore . This is not a political statement , it is a celebration . What ever it takes to make this powerboat run happen please count me onboard .
So get ready Havana here we come . This is my 2015 project to jet this Idea off the ground . I have a few Ideas as how to make this happen . I may be wrong in my Idea , but research starts tomorrow. I invite you to forward me some positive input

My offer still stand if you are ever in Orlando give me a call and I will buy you lunch , except now it is Cuban food .
Old 12-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Registered

And politicaly ,,, It is the people the common folks that do without due to the embargo . Communist party leaders have nice homes cars and Rolexes. My Dad sent care packages of basics such as aspirin and underwear to his mom and brothers and sisters. there whole life. maybe we can show Cuba something other than the Communism and corruption that they have known for the last 50+ years
Old 12-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have no love for Obama and I despise what he has done to this nation but I have long thought that it is time to ease restrictions on trade and travel to Cuba. It is not up to us to determine what type of government another country has. We don't have such restrictions with other communist nations such as China or Russia. I have always heard that Cuba is a wonderful boating destination but until now you had to be Canadian or find another way to skirt the law to go there

I'm not a big Obama fan either, but I think he got this one right!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.