Is anybody storing gas, witih gas prices so low now >

Is anybody storing gas, witih gas prices so low now

Notices

Is anybody storing gas, witih gas prices so low now

Old 12-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzi540
I was brought up to believe that when putting your boat up for the winter it was best to top off your tank to eliminate the potential air space from condensation. Sounds like a mistake if the fuel degrades over time. I'm fortunate enough to have ethanol free premium nearby, and have heated storage, but how many on here leave their tanks full vs. empty during storage?

Plus, I needed to get my post count into double digits...... woo-hoo.
Full But I've seen problems where people fill them till it comes out the vent while weather is cool/cold and then when it warms up it pisses all over the side Gets really bad news when shrinkwrapped and fuel is trapped between hull sides and shrink material. Bad stains
Old 12-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Biggest problem with loading up on fuel now besides storage issues that I see would be that it is the winter blend highly oxygenated fuel. Maybe by March or April another story.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple answer... not worth it for me here in the Midwest with a 125gal gas tank in my boat. JMO
Old 12-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

If people ever added up the time and money the spend trying to save a few bucks they would realize they are actually going further in the hole.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Boating in mi in March ? No thanks
3 1/2 months will be April. I'm always boating in April!
Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind paying up for gas. I just hate paying for corn in my gas. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me gas used to last a very very long time, even years. Not so much now that we this ethanol/corn bullish!t.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
If people ever added up the time and money the spend trying to save a few bucks they would realize they are actually going further in the hole.
The wife used to go to store to store just to save a couple bucks. I showed her how the extra time, gas and effort was not worth it so now she does it just because she wants to. Cant argue with that.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

found it from an archived thread, good read

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ne-levels.html

Originally Posted by James
I have an electronic octane test machine. I have found that after testing more than 60 separate tests that gasoline sold at the pump has 1 - 1.5 more octane than is the Minimum rating suggested on the pump. Gasoline tested from 7-11 last week, I purchased 89 octane was actually 90.5 octane when tested. Out of 60 test including Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, Mom & Pops little store, Marina etc... I have never had less that 1 octane above what is written on the pump, and if your read the pump carefully it states that that is the "minimum" octane rating. I went to the auto parts store and purchased a bottle of everything they had on the shelf to increase octane. I can tell you it takes a lot of "booster" to increase a gallon 1 point and ton of "booster" to increase the octane one number. I have gasoline being tested that is more than 1 1/2 years old from the purchase date, left purposely in sealed and unsealed containers. Each test has lost no octane over the period. Understand that the fuel may have lost volatiles that make it hard to start, smell bad etc...but it has not lost octane. These fuels also contain 10% ethanol.
Originally Posted by James
I will dig up the manufactuer of the machine, I believe the cost was $ 12,000.00 or so.

Rumor mill was very strong leading me to believe that Ethanol made gas go bad and the result was reduced Octane. I had several engine failures, so rather than buy more engines I tested fuel.

The only guys that really care about Octane are the aircraft and boat owners, a car on the track with 14:1 is already buy fuel, and he is only buring 20 gallons so cost and availibility is not an issue. FAA has very few rules regarding the age of gasoline, of course purge and check for water before climbing in.

I was so sure someone was trying to screw me selling me "bad" gas that I purchased this machine. Fact is that I have yet to find any gas that is less than advertized Octane. I have gone to some gas stations where a second person has to watch your back while fueling, and still the fuel is as advertized.

I have looked for and found old lawn mowers, gas smells foul, but the octane is 87 +, of course I do not know what or when the fuel was put in the tank, nor to I believe that any equipment would run with this old gas, but the octane is ok.

To get a good pump test I pre-purge the fuel line, pump 4 gallons through the pump into the car, then fill a 1 gallon container for testing to help insure I'm getting the gas paid for and not fuel left in the line from the previous use.

Lessons learned -
I store my boats empty now, or make sure my last fill up is the Valve-tec from my marina (has stabil in it already)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-19-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they would stop putting it in our gas tanks then we could get it for cheaper in our bellys.

Bourbon is usually made from corn and derives its name from its roots in Bourbon County, Kentucky and French House of Bourbon, in that order. It is the South’s contribution to American drinking culture.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy a 6 month option contract on oil and if the price goes up a lot you mill make your money on the options and can use that money to offset the cost of increased fuel prices, same thing the airlines do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.