Speed records-Piston power

Notices

Speed records-Piston power

Old 09-01-2002, 09:14 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speed records-Piston power

My friends and I were just discussing the a write up on another website that states " The fastest lap ever recorded by a piston-powered boat on any sized race course is 148.410 on a 2.5-mile track at the Tri-Cities, WA, in 1995 during qualification. This was by Mitch Evans with the Coopers' U-3 (the 1988 hull). The current U-3's performance at Seattle this year is the piston record for a 2-mile course set at 145.612 MPH."

What prevents an Offshore class, Cat or Vee from challenging those records????
We also assume (hate that word) the word "course" excludes a straight shoot course as is run by drag boats.

Below is the U3 2002 version

Thanks
marc
Attached Thumbnails Speed records-Piston power-u-3-2002.jpg  
Old 09-01-2002, 09:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would you do a lap on a drag course??
Old 09-01-2002, 11:26 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Marc,

Your assumption is correct. The KILO record is the straightaway record set over one KILOMETER. Our lap records in Unlimited Hydros are set in qualifying (APBA record only) and in competition (Both APBA and UIM) . In Limited Hydros, which is anything not an Unlimited, all competition records are set during a heat of competition.

As to Coopers new boat, I'd wager they will qualify at over 154 in San Diego, and maybe even higher. In fact, he will probably out qualify our boat and if so, I hope I'm first to congratulate Ed and his Family. They have been loyal competitors for over 4 decades and the last holdout running Allison power.

I'm blessed to still hold the current world records for fastest overall race at 154 MPH set in Hawaii in 1993 and the fastest lap record at 166.236 during a heat of competition.

Dave Vilwock ran a faster lap during qualifying at San Diego at 173 MPH +. However, the world records are only established during an actual race. Qualifying is with only one boat on the course and generally you're WOT the entire time. In an actual race you're in and out of the throttle due to a myriad of conditions, wind, waves, other competitors, etc.

When you're in San Diego, come to our truck and I'll show you the computer print outs from our qualifying and heat racing. The info is pretty complete, and includes real time speed, throttle position, rudder position, G loads, PSI loads on the running surfaces, N-1, N-2, Bleed band operation, fuel pressures, etc.

Take care Marc, see you in a few weeks.

Steve
Old 09-02-2002, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve David,

Damn 154, on land I went that fast on a motorcycle once. cannot imagine in a boat. Has to be absolute crazy. Glad you still have the record.

WILL
Old 09-03-2002, 12:27 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Thanks Will !
Old 09-03-2002, 08:26 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Very impressive to say the least! Those kind of numbers don't come easy in anything - let alone something that floats. Would like to stop by to say Hi and look at the boat while in San Diego for the races.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:41 AM
Registered

Wish I could go! maybe next year
Old 09-03-2002, 08:44 AM
Bayley

Here's a question...

Who holds the all-out piston driven watercraft speed record (any type of piston driven boat)? I took a friend out on the water last year and he claimed his Uncle held (or still holds) the water speed record for piston powered boats. His boat is supposed to be on display in the Motorsport's Museum in Novi, Michigan.

Anyone know?

Old 09-03-2002, 02:48 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Bayley - Not sure but would like to know myself. Hope someone replies with a certified (verbals don't count) speed.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PISTON RECORD

I reckon it must still be Roy Duby in the Miss U>S> in 1958 at 200.013 mph, Guntersville Al.

Quick Reply: Speed records-Piston power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.