Notices

Volvo power/drive?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks fixx ill definitely look into it.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:51 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

As mentioned about timed props / clocked props are the same. If you clock your props your boat can even handle better and maybe pick up a tad of speed on top of. I have never ever had one complaint about clocking twin props but have had a lot of boat owners report back what did you do to my boat as it handles a bit better even handles better when cornering. I have had plenty of boat owners say they picked up a mile or two of speed as well. Of course some people never comment but more than not they do in a positive way especially with the Volvo DP apps.

Years ago Volvo Penta in school use to teach, clocking the props when reinstalling them. They don't today but a lot of techs in class talk about it especially in the Volvo classes. Clocking twin props is like making a clover leaf pattern when installing the first prop then the outer prop. Try it , I bet you might just feel a bit of difference in your ride and maybe tad bit speed increase. Always worth a try and can not hurt anything..

Last edited by BUP; 12-23-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:08 AM
Registered

Yeah and thats a cheap trick too! I like cheap! You guys have been great, I think ill look into having my props loomed at for now and see how it performs this next season.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:15 AM
Registered

So a little up date took a look at the props they are not clocked correctly and the gears in the out drive are 1.95. And the motor is a Gi not the gix.....whats the difference? Any update on previous info that may or may not apply to my boat?
Old 12-31-2014, 11:45 AM
BUP
Banned

Very simple take your outer prop off and reinstall it so it make like a clover leaf pattern starting point dead middle under your anti - ventilation plate of the outdrive.

next you have a Gi engine now, so what happened to the GXi ? also what is your true year of the engine ? Call Volvo and give them your engine serial #.

2004 & 2005 & 2006 - 5.7 Gi Volvo Penta is 4600 - 5000 MAX rpm's and only 280 hp at the prop. IMO your 232 is somewhat under powered especially only having the small block Gi engine.

Also for an FYI the 232 cuddy version which is heavier that the open bow version. At least you have a lighter version BR Rinker 232.

I have driven this same boat as a lot them for a price point buyer came with the Merc 5.0 EFI / MPI 240 hp & 260 hp with Alpha one Gen II outdrive were a big dog especially with the single prop Alpha spinning a 3 blade.

Last edited by BUP; 12-31-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LFDE18
So a little up date took a look at the props they are not clocked correctly and the gears in the out drive are 1.95. And the motor is a Gi not the gix.....whats the difference? Any update on previous info that may or may not apply to my boat?
This is a good source of information on Volvo Engines:

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta...n_engines.aspx
Old 12-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Very simple take your outer prop off and reinstall it so it make like a clover leaf pattern starting point dead middle under your anti - ventilation plate of the outdrive.
Look at that, you know your Volvos AND you correctly called it an anti-ventilation plate!
Old 12-31-2014, 01:17 PM
BUP
Banned

I wrote a story last year and mentioned how that many call it an anti cavitation plate so I had to straighten that issue out. Jeepers if I had an extra 10 bucks for every Volvo that I worked on - I would be rich. Just caught up with Volvo a couple of months ago for all the very lastest and training. Direct fuel injection and all LS engine based engines is on its way from them.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:18 PM
Registered

I thought the sticker on top said gxi, but after spending a couple hours last night in the engine compartment I realized I was wrong witch made me double check the out drive for the gear ratio. Pretty sad that I didnt even know what motor is no my boat....ill probably loose my man card over this...lol

So with it being slightly under powered sounds like I should be more than happy with 45 mph..... is it even worth trying to perk this motor up to get some more ponies or shout I just fix the clocking of the props and just enjoy the boat. I know it seems I am repeating myself its just really hard for me to leave it alone. Im like a kid I. A toy shop .....lol

Are there major differences between those years of motor?

I guess I should be happy to have the Volvo motor then huh?.... at least i got that goin for me.....
Old 12-31-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP

next you have a Gi engine now, so what happened to the GXi ? also what is your true year of the engine ? Call Volvo and give them your engine serial #.

2004 & 2005 & 2006 - 5.7 Gi Volvo Penta is 4600 - 5000 MAX rpm's and only 280 hp at the prop. IMO your 232 is somewhat under powered especially only having the small block Gi engine.

Also for an FYI the 232 cuddy version which is heavier that the open bow version. At least you have a lighter version BR Rinker 232.

I have driven this same boat as a lot them for a price point buyer came with the Merc 5.0 EFI / MPI 240 hp & 260 hp with Alpha one Gen II outdrive were a big dog especially with the single prop Alpha spinning a 3 blade.
I have to admit, I am a little lost on the "prop clocking". What is the theory behind it? Once the props are rotating, isnt their original install position irrelevant?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.