Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Grand Haven over,Hardy next??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32158-grand-haven-over-hardy-next.html)

dyno 09-03-2002 08:00 AM

Well its like this Mark.......If the weather is nice I'm going to run the Big Water!!!!the atmosphere at Hardy Is'nt geared tward Family Boating if you get my drift....I'm a Dad now and try to act like it......

pb 09-03-2002 08:32 AM

Foul,
How early. 9-10 a.m.? We are coming from our lake house in Decatur, MI. Any lodging near by of better yet right on the water? Is this an organized event, certain meeting place and time?

Vette,
Since I assume you are coming up 94, do you want to meet along the way. I will be getting on to 94 at Michigan exit 56, Decatur/Dowagiac. Let me know.

Paul

KAAMA 09-03-2002 09:57 AM

Dyno/Don,

Yeah, I catch your drift and totally understand on the family part. I was up there for the first time last year and if I remember correctly things have gotten a little shady. More people would have probably showed up, but it was threatening rain that day. Thing is, it rained all around us and we never got a drop that day which worked out nice, but I think the very threat of rain kept several people away. Honestly, I don't like it when things get shady---I just like to go up there for a change of geographics and see all the hot boats.
It sounds like it's going to be one of their busiest years ever up there this weekend. Wette Vette and and others from Indiana are even coming up as well---it's becoming more and more popular!

dyno 09-03-2002 10:02 AM

Mark, I might make it we'll see...hey sorry about not getting your call this weekend I was using my wifes cell while mine was charging, did'nt get your message till monday!
Don
P.S did you see my post on Box's ????maybe you can fill me with your wisdom!!!!

WETTE VETTE 09-03-2002 08:23 PM

PB, we will be taking 94 to 196 to GR and then 131. That saves us about a half hour or more. We are planning on leaving between 5:30 and 6:00 Indiana time. I am hoping to get on the water early so I can try a new prop out before it gets to crazy. It looks like it will only be a couple of us coming from LaPorte. Maybe you can take 62 over and pick up 94 in Berrien Springs? I will have my cell phone with me so give me a call and let me know if you want to go that route. If not we will see you at the lake.
(219)363-4859.

Waterfoul 09-03-2002 11:23 PM

pb, unless you've got a camper there is no place to stay ON the water. There are a LOT of hotels in Big Rapids (it's a college town, Ferris State University) so you can probably find something there. It's maybe a 15-20 minute tow from town to the lake.

As far as "organized event" I'd have to say no. The ramp is in it's own little cove of sorts and you can stick your bow on the sand/grass and hang for a while. We will more than likely be to the south as you leave the ramp's cove. Just stay center and head left out of the ramp. The big beach everyone hangs out at is down the lake several miles on the west side. Pretty tall dune and a beach with a cove to anchor/beach your boat in. The Michigan Hot Boat association will be there with a LOT of small river rockets. This includes OSO member TWright (also known as Drag120 on OSO as he's had trouble with his TWright log in). They usually have a radar gun with them but I'm not sure where they will do their runs at.

As for the time, early is good. I'd say by 10:00 or so to be assured of getting in without waiting too long.

Some of us you can't miss. My boat has Waterfoul written on Both sides. Tinkerboater has a 34 Scarab with Miami Vice pastel colors and an arch (sorry Steve, couldn't resist). KAAMA has a 32 AT that says KAAMA on both sides. Red Stripe has a 19 Baja that is of course, mostly red. Whitey has a 32-35 Challenger Offshore with awsome red graphics. Mr. Gadgets has a 28 Checkmate that says Mr. Gadgets on the transom. And RCSHAP1 just got a new boat and I'm not sure what it is. 257 Powerquest I think.

Mike

nautigirl 09-04-2002 05:51 AM

RSCHAP1's new boat is a 237 Stryker. With pink & teal graphics. I'm not sure if we're going now or not. I had to cancell a wedding for us to go on Sat and then I found out our niece's first birthday party is at 3PM on Sat. Bummer - not sure what we'll do.

Tinkerboater - did you have a little boy and pregnant lady with you on Sat??

Brody got to "drive" one of the race boats on Sat - brand new blue and white Advantage. That kid gets to have all the fun!!

I recognized a couple of people of Sun, but were too far away to say anything. Watched Midnight Rider have fun anchoring for the race;) and I saw ATT and Consintracy leaving the race. They were parked fairly close to us, but I didn't know because there was a big cruiser inbetween us. Beautiful boat. And I saw Waterfoul at the ramp. Scott kept asking me if it was - and I kept saying "I think so"

I had a great time - except Monday I was hurting - I got fried!!!:rolleyes:

KAAMA 09-04-2002 11:57 AM

Well you guys, I probably sound like a broken record player, but I may NOT have my boat ready for Hardy this weekend. :( If the boat is ready by then, it will be a miracle. BUT!----were gettin' close!---she's comin' to us! :D

Mr Gadgets 09-04-2002 05:20 PM

The Hardy Party was started a bunch of years ago by the makers of Challenger boats. Those guys would show up the Sunday after labor day to do some food and go fast.. Seeing that the marine patrol would run out of funds on Labor day. You could have more liberties to exceed the limits.. noise and speed. Remember we have a 55mph on all inland water ways..
We tried to keep it a word of mouth thing, just show up and enjoy.. we did a dish to pass one year.. The park rangers would ask if it was an organized thing... "I know nothing!!!
Problem is we had a few accidents... mine incluced that drew attention to the gatherings.. This was just a Sunday afternoon boating for a bunch of who ever wanted to show up. A couple of years back people started to show up earlier and earlier as early as Fri nite. By Sunday a lot of the boats broke their stuff.
Being that it is the last of the summer.. people tend to lean on their equipment.. soooooooooooo.

I plan on showing up sometime Sat around noon. If you get there early you can find a place on the beach in the cove.. most of the time the boats are out and down the river.. there is cove down river that a lot of boats head for. Just nice to have a place to chat and meet old and new friends.
As far as camping or or boats slips.. you can get a camp spot and put your boat on the trailer for the night.. that is what I do. Or you can get a spot to park the boat in the other channel, but I think you have to rent a camp spot.. not sure. Or you can drive about 15 min north to Big Rapids and there are motels there..

For the most part it is a very quite show up at Brower park, (state Park) and go boating, there is always a lot of nice people with fast boats... hmmmmm
But it is never organized!!

See you there... Saturday!!

my boat is read to go.. and I usually break it there!!! We'll see if my luck has really turned around..

PS. Kamma, you better show up with your boat.. or I will have to give you a ride in my slow boat!!

Dick

Tinkerer 09-04-2002 06:30 PM

Nautigirl

Yes that was my boat. The pregnate girl was my step daughter and my grandson. Had a boat full on sunday. (9) Went tubing on lake MI.