Spirit of Qatar Team Seeking Mechanics

Notices

Spirit of Qatar Team Seeking Mechanics

Old 01-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Default Spirit of Qatar Team Seeking Mechanics

Looking ahead, http://speedonthewater.com/new-boat-...king-mechanics.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"We don't need a full-time mechanic for that boat, frankly, because there really isn't anyone to race," said Curtis.

What a crock!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by stimleck
"We don't need a full-time mechanic for that boat, frankly, because there really isn't anyone to race," said Curtis.

What a crock!
I have no interest in debating a quote in a news story, but I have to ask: What—exactly—about that statement is "a crock."

Miss GEICO has gone piston.
Miss Mary Mac is an infrequent competitor on the offshore racecourse—at best—as was the original Aquamania.
JBS is gone ... period.
My Way doesn't race offshore.
The new Aquamania isn't done, at least by the last report I received, and has not announced any plans for offshore racing.

So what—exactly—about Mr. Curtis' statement makes it "a crock?" I'm definitely curious because, in case I've missed something (and that's certainly possible) there is no Turbine class fleet. What's more, at least as what I would define as a "fleet," there never really was.

Enlighten me.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Qatar's powerboats are awesome!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Registered

Firstly thanks for all you do personally to keep the spotlight on boating, its much appreciated.

My comment is related to the fact that they walked away and started their own organisation rather than work with existing organisations to improve the sport.

Premier racing league teams often gain an edge due to technology but as part of a group effort to support the organisation as a whole they often need to reduce their technology and join the others for the greater good of the organisation and the sport. Am I mistaken that Geico was quite competitive with them?

My admittedly uneducated view is that they couldn't get the others to play by their rules so they picked up their toybox and left. This is similar to the drag racing scenario.

"If I cant get my way then no one can"

Lastly I accept the opinion of many trusted military brass that Qatar is a major supporter of terrorism and should be cut off and that many in the boating world turn a blind eye to them for various reasons.
That probably skews my opinion of them on everything frankly.

BTW I don't have any affiliation with my avatar photo I just love looking at the engine every time I log in.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by stimleck
Firstly thanks for all you do personally to keep the spotlight on boating, its much appreciated.

My comment is related to the fact that they walked away and started their own organisation rather than work with existing organisations to improve the sport.

Premier racing league teams often gain an edge due to technology but as part of a group effort to support the organisation as a whole they often need to reduce their technology and join the others for the greater good of the organisation and the sport. Am I mistaken that Geico was quite competitive with them?

My admittedly uneducated view is that they couldn't get the others to play by their rules so they picked up their toybox and left. This is similar to the drag racing scenario.

"If I cant get my way then no one can"

Lastly I accept the opinion of many trusted military brass that Qatar is a major supporter of terrorism and should be cut off and that many in the boating world turn a blind eye to them for various reasons.
That probably skews my opinion of them on everything frankly.

BTW I don't have any affiliation with my avatar photo I just love looking at the engine every time I log in.
Thanks for the clarification. I like the picture of the engine, too.

On your last point, you can find anything to support any point you prefer in a Google search, so I take them all with a grain. I've read more articles on the subject than I can remember, but this is the most balanced piece I've found, http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/p...-u.s.-approach.

With or without information, people draw their own conclusions. That's their right, just as expressing them—in this country—is their right.

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Registered

this is just my opinion so take it with a grain. as far as i'm concerned quatar doesn't have any rights in this country, they are simply a guest and if it where up to me they wouldn't even be that. for a guest of the country they seem to have an awful lot to say about things and if they don't like it they start their own deal. it's amazing what dirty money can buy you
Old 01-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Registered

They walked away , now stay away.We will do fine without them.Just my opinion
Old 01-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I have no interest in debating a quote in a news story, but I have to ask: What—exactly—about that statement is "a crock."

Miss GEICO has gone piston.
Miss Mary Mac is an infrequent competitor on the offshore racecourse—at best—as was the original Aquamania.
JBS is gone ... period.
My Way doesn't race offshore.
The new Aquamania isn't done, at least by the last report I received, and has not announced any plans for offshore racing.

So what—exactly—about Mr. Curtis' statement makes it "a crock?" I'm definitely curious because, in case I've missed something (and that's certainly possible) there is no Turbine class fleet. What's more, at least as what I would define as a "fleet," there never really was.

Enlighten me.
Hopefuly we don't miss out on any new posts from jbs.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is very similar to what happen when they ran over seas, they couldnt get there way with Victory so took there bat at ball and came here to play. They haven't done anything for sport since they have been here, but demand an awful lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.