Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Engine builder thread, good? bad? what is a good time frame??? >

Engine builder thread, good? bad? what is a good time frame???

Notices

Engine builder thread, good? bad? what is a good time frame???

Old 01-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Ron Potter.

Best in the business.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
He called you because the guy cares about his work and your satisfaction more so than bending you over and bleeding every penny from you. These type of people are getting harder to find.
I only bought some parts from Ron Potter but he has taken my incessant phone calls, questions and me pestering him endlessly like an absolute gentleman and professional. I have found him to be extremely knowledgeable, courteous and incredibly responsive. I wouldn't hesitate to do anything with him..
Old 01-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing to consider is resale value if you were to sell your boat.
I'm using victory engines out of Cleveland Ohio and wouldn't go anywhere else. While he's not known as a "marine" specific shop, he's an endurance shop that does lots of high end circle track stuff. You don't want a guy who build drag racing stuff to work on your marine engine.

That said, a big name shop engine / engines will help to sell a boat if that time comes.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My engines were done at Goodwin competition in WI. Pretty simple stuff for them. Pair of 725hp 598 big block carbed motors. As I recall his work was about 1.5 months. Great to talk to and I could call him and if not avail he would call me back at the end of his work day. No complaints about their work.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr
As stated, people want something for nothing, that's why he has left the engine market.
Its pretty hard to make money and keep people happy with the rebuilding and selling new engines. If they think another engine shop will do it cheaper they are gone. And in the long run they aren't happy!
And one more thing the customer wants to help !
Old 01-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
I only bought some parts from Ron Potter but he has taken my incessant phone calls, questions and me pestering him endlessly like an absolute gentleman and professional. I have found him to be extremely knowledgeable, courteous and incredibly responsive. I wouldn't hesitate to do anything with him..
Although not a builder I have to say the same thing about Bob Madara @ Marine Kinetics. I've spent countless hours on the phone with the man in the last few months about technical things. He has gone above and beyond with customer service.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Although not a builder I have to say the same thing about Bob Madara @ Marine Kinetics. I've spent countless hours on the phone with the man in the last few months about technical things. He has gone above and beyond with customer service.
I was on the phone with Bob the other day for a solid 1/2 hour to 45 Minutes... talking heads and cams, giving me solid advice, that helped me a ton and hope I can do what we talked about, his info was great!! Excellent conversation...!
Old 01-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

+1.. have also spent a lot of time with Bob on the phone getting advice and picking his brain... another great guy!!
Old 01-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

This is really an apples to oranges comparison but I was a heavy repair auto technician for 20 years. I rebuilt many engines within one week. That's complete rebuilds. Blocks would be sent out for boring if there was any cylinder wear, and there usually was. Heads would either be sent out or I'd grind the valves and seats myself. Now, of course, when we are talking about a high output marine engine then much more time must be spent on details and exact tolerances but this could still be done in a matter of weeks and not months and certainly not years. WTF? Years to rebuild an engine? Really?
Old 01-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
I was on the phone with Bob the other day for a solid 1/2 hour to 45 Minutes... talking heads and cams, giving me solid advice, that helped me a ton and hope I can do what we talked about, his info was great!! Excellent conversation...!
Next time you talk to him ask him about his rod bolt calculator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.