Notices

Power & drive choices

Old 01-09-2015, 10:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

"I will tell you one thing 700's in a 30-35' boat...you are gonna need a shoe horn to get them out or hire a midget mechanic. That's gonna be a horrible setup to work on. Our old small block 292 was horrendous."

I'm not understanding exactly what you're saying. According to the specs I can find, ALL the big blocks are listed at ~33" wide regardless of the HP rating; 700 hp costs as much in width as 500hp….to my knowledge all trailerable boats with bbc twins (excluding the cats that trailer on their side) are a pain in the azz to work on. That's the ante for that type boat. We're in Mi -our boating season is so short we've got lots more time to work on them than we do run them anyway

The alternative is to save about 3" per motor and go to blown small blocks. I don't think I want to do that. The boat has 102' beam which will help a bit.

If I HAVE to go to a NXT or 6 I can.

I'd RATHER have someone tell me the Indy or Imco - for the money saved - is a better way to go.

But that's why I'm asking, because I don't know.

Thanks for bringing up the width issue though, I hadn't considered it but don't really see an alternative.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Slippery
"I will tell you one thing 700's in a 30-35' boat...you are gonna need a shoe horn to get them out or hire a midget mechanic. That's gonna be a horrible setup to work on. Our old small block 292 was horrendous."

I'm not understanding exactly what you're saying. According to the specs I can find, ALL the big blocks are listed at ~33" wide regardless of the HP rating; 700 hp costs as much in width as 500hp….to my knowledge all trailerable boats with bbc twins (excluding the cats that trailer on their side) are a pain in the azz to work on. That's the ante for that type boat. We're in Mi -our boating season is so short we've got lots more time to work on them than we do run them anyway

The alternative is to save about 3" per motor and go to blown small blocks. I don't think I want to do that. The boat has 102' beam which will help a bit.

I'd RATHER have someone tell me the Indy or Imco - for the money saved - is a better way to go.

Thanks for bringing up the width issue though, I hadn't considered it but don't really see an alternative.
Why do tho keep saying Indy or Imco?? Do you not like Arnesons??
Old 01-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

ASD 7Ms!!!
Old 01-10-2015, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Hands Down Best Option....

Boost Power (or other custom engine build)
Arneson ASD7M (complete setup when rigging new is similar to a mercury XR but stronger then an NXT)

Ilmor 725
Indy drive

If your buying a new boat and are not worried about resale those are your best options.

If your buying a new boat that is a saught after haul to start with and you want resale....

Mercury 700 #6 (nxt is fine but worth it to go #6)

Unique or rare boats are hard for resale anyways so merc power may or may not be benificial

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 01-10-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont have anywhere near the pockets to afford any of this stuff. i just read alot because its winter. but if it was me, i would go with aftermarket power and arnesons.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

One thing when your considering a bravo type drive on a boat of that size and power, look at the size of a bravo transom assembly next to a nxt/6/8, transoms that were built for power and speed. The scx is a great drive but I'd still be concerned with it breaking right off the boat.
And if you're not going to run it hard go 520's and bravos save 100k towards fuel
Old 01-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Slippery

Has more to do with depth of engine compartment than width. With a longer boat there is more room in front of and behind the motors. Makes it easy to access things on the side, etc. in a 30-35, you will find very little if not any space to work on the engines. Just an FYI. I will never go back to that situation.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

best bang for the buck is the merc 520, its xr drive. price impossible to beat. 2 yr warranty pump gas. we have a pair in our 28 saber.
for 700hp love the 725 ilmor indy drive. impressed with the company, putting a pair in the 34 saber picking up next week.
customer service awesome and now have larger dealer network (mastercraft) .
if you go custom, I always stay local, if it break don't have to send to calif/florida. (Wesco, sterling, tyler, scorpion/ilmor...) that's just in Michigan!!
Old 01-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Can you please fill us in on what hull we are dieing to know
Old 01-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

ASD 7 and custom power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.