High End Cooler Comparison

Notices

High End Cooler Comparison

Old 01-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts
Default High End Cooler Comparison

I have several Yeti's, and have had great luck with them. Looks like there may be better choices out there though.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/01/24...kly+Newsletter
Old 01-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Softsided is where it's at for me. I like my Polar Bears and my friends like their AO's. Who else is in the softside market?

Yeti doesn't count.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

love my soft side coolers, got my first AO's in the mid 90's and they still work like the day i got them. No leaks and keep ice for a long time.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the soft sided options as well, the trick is you have to get a nice one. Not sure what brand mine are but got them at the boat show and love them, no sweating and hold ice for more than a day even when left out in the sun all day. Yeti's are nice but to big and heavy for the ammount of space you get inside. The other thing I like about the soft sides are you can throw them on the floor and they don't tip over or bounce around like all the hard ones I've tried while running or you can set them on the deck and not worry about them scratching the paint.

Only caviot to that is if you need ice for an extended weekend you may need a bigger cooler and then the extra insulation of a hard side may be needed, with the skater I only boat for the afternoon / evening so I don't need to take a ton with me, if we go out for the weekend the bigger boat has an ice maker...
Old 01-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Sailor Bags makes the best soft sided cooler I have found. It is about $100 for the 24 can size, but the cooler is awesome, I take it everywhere as the mobile bar.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

speaking of coolers anyone use dry ice in a cooler? Buddy of mine said they use to use it and it worked great, no mess because it goes straight to a gas but he did say they had to layer towels in to keep it from freezing everything.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks

Surprised by all of the softside users. didnt know they made high end softsides except the new Yeti. Has anyone tried the Yeti softside cooler?
Old 01-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Flightplan
Surprised by all of the softside users. didnt know they made high end softsides except the new Yeti. Has anyone tried the Yeti softside cooler?
I dont think the soft side ones are quite as good as the best hard side ones but the trade off for us offshore guys is worth it. I bought mine at the street rod nationals in like 94 and they work remarkably well, at the time i dont think i ever had a cooler that held ice near as long. Mine AO's have always worked very well, swear by 'em. They seem to always be able to tuck in somewhere on any boat i have ever had, hard sides need a specific space. My soft sides usually go under a bolster or something and remain convenient at any orientation. My GF's dad has a Yeti hard side on his cruiser . . . . i think you only have to put ice in it when ya get it then its good forever lol . Holds ice for an astonishing time.

Last edited by glassdave; 01-10-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I have three AOs and swear by them. Have one of their largest and two smaller. I tried every soft side till I bughy my one large one. The two small come with Sunsations. They never sweat and have no issues keeping ice.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks

Originally Posted by glassdave
I dont think the soft side ones are quite as good as the best hard side ones but the trade off for us offshore guys is worth it. I bought mine at the street rod nationals in like 94 and they work remarkably well, at the time i dont think i ever had a cooler that held ice near as long. Mine AO's have always worked very well, swear by 'em. They seem to always be able to tuck in somewhere on any boat i have ever had, hard sides need a specific space. My soft sides usually go under a bolster or something and remain convenient at any orientation. My GF's dad has a Yeti hard side on his cruiser . . . . i think you only have to put ice in it when ya get it then its good forever lol . Holds ice for an astonishing time.
Yes the ice lasts forever. I have a Yeti 110qt for hunting, and the 65qt for all day on the water. I can see were a soft side would be more convenient, just never had a good one. The Yeti soft side is like $300. I'm going to check in to the AO's and others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.