Notices

St Lawerence Seaway ??

Old 01-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default St Lawerence Seaway ??

Thinking of buying a 40SS in the great lakes area.......Then taking the spring to transit the seaway or Erie canal to the Atlantic...then down the coast to Fla... I have done numerous west coast trips including to Cabo. Trip suggestions?

Last edited by fossil fuel; 01-11-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seaway is a very long trip, Not meant for the formula. I do both trips every yr, the seaway and erie barge. The barge canal is a awesome piece of history and perfect for the formula, very cool places to tie up each night,you could easily spend a week cruising through the canal. Then the trip down the hudson is a blast also with great towns to tie up in also.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Registered

Also the welland canal is part of the st Lawrence sea way, connecting erie with ontario, but the formula would be able to by pass that and enter the barge canal through buffalo
Old 01-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Registered

You could do the seaway through Montreal, then down through Lake Champlain and into the Hudson. The thousand islands are nice to see.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

That is much longer then the erie canal. Fun to do but not the shortest route!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can manage an extra couple days you could make a side trip to the 1000 Islands and Clayton or Alexandria Bay via the Oswego canal. I captain for one of the canal tour boat operators in Herkimer and I can guarantee the Erie Canal is an amazing voyage. You will need to get a canal pass which for 39' and above is only $100 unlimited for a season. There are many great places to dock for free and walk to nearby amenities like restaurants or stores. Be aware there are speed restrictions depending on what sections you are in but there are also not many water cops in the canal way to enforce the speed limits. The lock operators keep track of boats transiting the canal. There are tons of great free resources and charts available. The water depth is controlled by state hydrologist so water levels are never an issue. Once you transit the canal you end up at Waterford, NY and the Flight of Five which is the most amazing lift in the world! It's just before you enter the Hudson. http://www.nycanals.com/Erie_Canal_Boating You should also research the web for The Great Loop. Good luck. You won't regret it.

Last edited by Ing; 01-11-2015 at 08:16 PM.