Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can you make a living working in the Powerboat world???? >

Can you make a living working in the Powerboat world????

Notices

Can you make a living working in the Powerboat world????

Old 01-11-2015, 11:50 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts

You can make money in this industry, but don't let the big dollar boats and their bigger dollar owners blind to the realities that everything about it is hard work. It's not a pot of gold. No one starts off as Peter Hledin, even Peter Hledini.. Right from the start, you have to bring value to the table. Otherwise there simply won't be room for you on payroll. It's not personal. It 's economics.

You have to want it. Badly. My son is senior journalism student at the University of Oregon in Eugene. He's not following my path, praise the lord, he's headed toward sports marketing and PR. But I gave him one piece advice and it may work for you. Unless you cannot see yourself doing anything else, unless it in invades your dreams. Because you'll be competing against people with that level of passion and they'll run right by you if you don't have the same level of commitment. I say, go for it, but before ... do some serious homework.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 01-11-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:43 AM
Registered

Received 400 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax
It all depends on your target market. Where your location is. And where your shop is.. How are people going to know your there? I know many people near me who make a decent living doing great work, working out of their garages. But if I didn't know about them through the grape vine, I wouldn't have any idea how to contact them... I thought I could make a ton of money redoing old boats and flipping them, but I'm finding out the money is in doing the work.. Like MANY have said on here before. But with that being said.. If you do good work, and advertise, be professional in real life situations with clients, they'll find you. For instance, the gentlemen who bought my cafe, bought it and decided he wanted more done to the boat... Now from his correspondence with me while building his boat and massive checks coming my way and no funny business is going on (like many business' in offshore trying to screw people) I'm getting phone calls weekly by acquaintances of his looking for boats and talking about building some. Now I have bigger plans than just working on boats for the future of course, but this is how I'm getting my foot in the door and spreading my name. So to answer your question, yes there is a way to make a living doing it! And yes, it Is VERY fun having poker runs be business trips ��
Old 01-12-2015, 03:57 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

It all depends on your target market. Where your location is. And where your shop is.. How are people going to know your there? I know many people near me who make a decent living doing great work, working out of their garages. But if I didn't know about them through the grape vine, I wouldn't have any idea how to contact them... I thought I could make a ton of money redoing old boats and flipping them, but I'm finding out the money is in doing the work.. Like MANY have said on here before. But with that being said.. If you do good work, and advertise, be professional in real life situations with clients, they'll find you. For instance, the gentlemen who bought my cafe, bought it and decided he wanted more done to the boat... Now from his correspondence with me while building his boat and massive checks coming my way and no funny business is going on (like many business' in offshore trying to screw people) I'm getting phone calls weekly by acquaintances of his looking for boats and talking about building some. Now I have bigger plans than just working on boats for the future of course, but this is how I'm getting my foot in the door and spreading my name. So to answer your question, yes there is a way to make a living doing it! And yes, it Is VERY fun having poker runs be business trips ��
Thanks for the chuckle!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait, what?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 767 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Wait, what?
Hahaha
Old 01-12-2015, 05:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Wow ...
Old 01-12-2015, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think the odds are better of making a good living in the HVAC field. There are quite a few ways to make good money there including starting your own business.
In the event of another economic slow down or recession you will be far better off in that field.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Wow ...
I was waiting for you to chime in after that reply....lol
Old 01-12-2015, 06:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
I was waiting for you to chime in after that reply....lol
I kept it simple and clean.....lol
Old 01-12-2015, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by PQKEV
I believe in collective wisdom and also think there are a lot of smart people here on OSO... and a couple....well you know what I mean..

So as the title say, Can you make a living in the powerboat world?

I have been in the HVAC / Facility Maintenance for my whole like, (35 years old) and I am facing a possible layoff due to down sizing and cut backs at one of the Monster Telephone company's. I do like what I do but with that being said I always had a love for powerboats, I have had three boats with the last a 29' PowerQuest. And I am fortunate enough to have a good friend with a 42 Outerlimts that we take out from time to time. And there is nothing like being on a boat like that!!

So....... everyone says do what you love and you will never work a day in your life, maybe now is my chance, but is there opportunity to make a living doing (fill in the blank) _____________ in the Powerboat world to make a decent living and a lot of fun doing it ???? Or is the only way to make your money elsewhere and spend your money powerboating???

Thanks
Have you ever met a wealthy boat mechanic?

I have seen wealthy HVAC guys.......that have awesome boats ....... and race them! http://cmsmechanical.com/
http://superboat.com/2014/01/cms-3/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.