Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can you make a living working in the Powerboat world???? >

Can you make a living working in the Powerboat world????

Notices

Can you make a living working in the Powerboat world????

Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to sell boats, I worked for two different dealerships and most days were great and I made a healthy living, my last year was making six figures. Before I was in the boat business I loved boats, looking at them, washing them, being on them, really everything about them. After my third year, when I would arrive at work surrounded by beautiful new fiberglass and I only had contempt for the boats, I looked at them as a means to make a living and resented them. I also got my captains license and moved yachts around. When I told people what I did for a living then envisioned this grand lifestyle as if I was on a permanent yacht charter. The reality is that delivering yachts is usually lonely, no fun, and requires a lot of cleaning. Because boating is a lesiure time activity, you are usually workinng when you friends are off playing, Your Saturdays are gone, and your chance to spend time with a family or grow one is diminished. My last year in the business was my first year in law shool, I had a great boss, and he let me study while at work. I always had the use and enjoyment of a new boat while I was in the business, but it just isn't the same as owning your own boat. My love of boats returned as soon as I no longer relied on them for income, and my first major purchase as a lawyer was a Formula 271 fastech with a HP500!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 236 Likes on 79 Posts

Collectively, like some people are saying, you can't be wealthy being a mechanic. We'll no crap, cars, bikes, boats whatever. Being the mechanic working for someone else, In a mom and pop marine there's no real money to be had. But the owners of big marinas. The big boat dealerships, etc they are the people who are making money. It's like anything really, the owners of any business (given the business is cash flow positive and healthy) are normally making the big money not the workers...
Old 01-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 777 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax
Collectively, like some people are saying, you can't be wealthy being a mechanic. We'll no crap, cars, bikes, boats whatever. Being the mechanic working for someone else, In a mom and pop marine there's no real money to be had. But the owners of big marinas. The big boat dealerships, etc they are the people who are making money. It's like anything really, the owners of any business (given the business is cash flow positive and healthy) are normally making the big money not the workers...
We're fortunate to have an industry heavy hitter like yourself weighing in; a guy who spends his days doing great things for the powerboat industry and his nights throwing stuff off overpasses at cars
Old 01-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
We're fortunate to have an industry heavy hitter like yourself weighing in; a guy who spends his days doing great things for the powerboat industry and his nights throwing stuff off overpasses at cars
I know he is a big time boat repair and professional boat mover from several other threads but I have missed the overpass issue part, were can I find info?
Old 01-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax
Define wealthy...... I make a good living, I make boating money wheeling and dealing and do very well, I am no high roller, but all my stuff is paid for besides my house, I have a great family and the ability to boat most weekends, to me that it wealth, is it hard and a struggle at times? yes it is, buidling engines this winter and paying cash as I make it and still be done by May is very stressful, at the same time I watch my boss work like a mad man, many weekends, the paperwork, the customer issues and all that..... nah I will gladly be the worker bee and leave work at work, my family and fun time is too valuable to me....I would not want to own my own gig and give up weekends boating with friends and family, unless it was 9-5 gig, life is more then being "wealthy" of course if I hit the lottery I would have no issue being wealthy LOL

Last edited by Full Force; 01-13-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by seafordguy
"Now from his correspondence with me while building his boat and massive checks coming my way and no funny business is going on (like many business' in offshore trying to screw people)"

He's showing us wrong though, even though this is a cocky statement, I still would love to see all the profit breakdown of the Cafe he told me he was gonna laugh all the way to the bank.

I pretty much try to leave Phil alone at this point and let him do his thing, but that was a cocky statement to make.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Define wealthy...... I make a good living, I make boating money wheeling and dealing and do very well, I am no high roller, but all my stuff is paid for besides my house, I have a great family and the ability to boat most weekends, to me that it wealth, is it hard and a struggle at times? yes it is, buidling engines this winter and paying cash as I make it and still be done by May is very stressful, at the same time I watch my boss work like a mad man, many weekends, the paperwork, the customer issues and all that..... nah I will gladly be the worker bee and leave work at work, my family and fun time is too valuable to me....I would not want to own my own gig and give up weekends boating with friends and family, unless it was 9-5 gig, life is more then being "wealthy" of course if I hit the lottery I would have no issue being wealthy LOL
Owning a business is not for everyboady. It takes a different breed, and you do make sacrifices quite frrequently, time passes you by quickly.

People work insane hours for two reasons:
1. They are passionate and almost addicted to it; and / or
2. They have not properly delegated tasks or built a team of competent people (employees). (not throwing darts here, because I am guilty of it, but working to improve).
Old 01-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Owning a business is not for everyboady. It takes a different breed, and you do make sacrifices quite frrequently, time passes you by quickly.

People work insane hours for two reasons:
1. They are passionate and almost addicted to it; and / or
2. They have not properly delegated tasks or built a team of competent people (employees). (not throwing darts here, because I am guilty of it, but working to improve).
My field is not set hour friendly, makes it tough.... lots of service. my boss is a work addict, I have no idea how he does it, then again his payout is good, I like my free time too much and I don't need a huge house and all that, perfectly happy with what I have in life, if I could just find a gig thats a set hours I would be 100% haha
Old 01-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
My field is not set hour friendly, makes it tough.... lots of service. my boss is a work addict, I have no idea how he does it, then again his payout is good, I like my free time too much and I don't need a huge house and all that, perfectly happy with what I have in life, if I could just find a gig thats a set hours I would be 100% haha
That's good, sounds like you are doing what you want / like.

Now if only I could find a centerfold wife whos Dad owns a golf course and liquor store, things would be looking up!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by frickstyle
That's good, sounds like you are doing what you want / like.

Now if only I could find a centerfold wife whos Dad owns a golf course and liquor store, things would be looking up!
For the most part yes, I got my days.... but overall very happy..text me later bud..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.