Baby boomers retirees living the life >

Baby boomers retirees living the life

Notices

Baby boomers retirees living the life

Old 01-13-2015, 09:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Loving retirement life in Florida!!!!!!!!

I retired early last year at age 50 after 30 years in the Federal Gov't.. My Wife retired three years ago after 32 years. We had a plan, stuck with it (making much less money than we could have in private industry) and now it's paying off with a good pension and relatively cheap health care for the rest of our lives....although our fees and deductibles did rise significantly this year due to dingdongcare.

I was worried that I would get bored....NOT THE CASE!!!!!! I play in a golf league on Wednesdays, play tennis at least three days a week, go fishing and crabbing a lot and do an azzload of boating. We also joined Golds Gym ($10 a month!!!) and hit that a few times a week. Add to that going out to lunches and dinners with friends....and I'm much more busy that I was when I was working! With not spending 2-3 hours a day commuting and sitting at my desk for 10 hours a day, I've lost 25 pounds.

While we are not flying around on a private plane and traveling the world, If we can stay healthy (God willing), it's a wonderful life and I wouldn't change a thing!!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Loving retirement life in Florida!!!!!!!!

I retired early last year at age 50 after 30 years in the Federal Gov't.. My Wife retired three years ago after 32 years. We had a plan, stuck with it (making much less money than we could have in private industry) and now it's paying off with a good pension and relatively cheap health care for the rest of our lives....although our fees and deductibles did rise significantly this year due to dingdongcare.

I was worried that I would get bored....NOT THE CASE!!!!!! I play in a golf league on Wednesdays, play tennis at least three days a week, go fishing and crabbing a lot and do an azzload of boating. We also joined Golds Gym ($10 a month!!!) and hit that a few times a week. Add to that going out to lunches and dinners with friends....and I'm much more busy that I was when I was working! With not spending 2-3 hours a day commuting and sitting at my desk for 10 hours a day, I've lost 25 pounds.

While we are not flying around on a private plane and traveling the world, If we can stay healthy (God willing), it's a wonderful life and I wouldn't change a thing!!

Great to hear your doing so well there in sunny FLA Craig! Hey, check out the video in the general discussion forum: Low Altitude VS Clifford.... your (our) old boat is in it and it looks great as usual. Happy New Year BTW....
Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

^^^^^ that's how I would be but not a chance to retire.

Funny we have a lot of friends and people around that are retired but not one of them is doing it on what I would call their own money.

Meaning all have a pension PLUS their savings. Not bashing just something I have noticed. I never worked for a company with a pension plan.

At least I should say most have a pension, more do then don't.

I would love to be retired but the only way is if I wait till I am 75!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like all the responses. This why I started the thread. Watching Bat Masterson now on Encore channel,wife out shopping. Need our away time from each other so she doesn't drive me crazy. LOL
Old 01-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

My wife and I retired in May 2008 and we moved to Traverse City that summer.
I'm on the board of a non-profit that renovates historic structures in a national park.
Walk dogs at the local animal shelter
Play softball in summer, hockey and ice boat in winter
mountain bike, X/C ski
volunteer with the local trails groups
volunteer at the local museum winters

My wife :
downhill skis
races bikes
x/c skis
open water swims
marathon runner
volunteers at a number of womens resource groups and sshelters
and
We travel to Mexico twice each winter and Utah in October for week vacations
Old 01-13-2015, 04:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I would hangout with BobtheBuilder.......he has a good handle on retirement hobbies!
LOL. I guess my love of everything offshore is well documented here. Even before my semi retirement a priority was to spent lots of time on the water. While I quit building 6 or 7 years ago we still develop our land and sell lots to other builders which allows me lots of free time. I think it's important to maintain some business or other interests to keep ones mind sharp. I doubt that I will ever fully retire.
Bob
Old 01-13-2015, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
^^^^^ that's how I would be but not a chance to retire.

Funny we have a lot of friends and people around that are retired but not one of them is doing it on what I would call their own money.

Meaning all have a pension PLUS their savings. Not bashing just something I have noticed. I never worked for a company with a pension plan.

At least I should say most have a pension, more do then don't.

I would love to be retired but the only way is if I wait till I am 75!
I think your idea that more people have pension vs. not is definitely skewed by which area of the country they are from. Virginia/DC has lots of govt employees, factory areas will have lots of union guys collecting and then cops/firemen/utitlity workers/teachers are nationwide. The pensions in places like FL are non-existent unless you are one of the previous listed occupations.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I think your idea that more people have pension vs. not is definitely skewed by which area of the country they are from. Virginia/DC has lots of govt employees, factory areas will have lots of union guys collecting and then cops/firemen/utitlity workers/teachers are nationwide. The pensions in places like FL are non-existent unless you are one of the previous listed occupations.
I took it that he is referring to the people he knows, not the genteral population
Old 01-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that I'll ever be able to retire. But how much monthly household income have most of the retirees planned for. And is it adequate.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by 44MTI
I took it that he is referring to the people he knows, not the genteral population
gotcha......found this on google:
Between 1990 and 2010, the share of America’s private-sector employees in traditional pension plans fell by nearly half, from 42 to 22 percent. Just about exactly 50 percent of private-sector workers now sit in 401(k)-type arrangements. - See more at: http://toomuchonline.org/remember-wh....23GYjU9o.dpuf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.