Notices

Fortress Aluminum Anchors

Old 09-04-2002, 06:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Steamin' Rice. I'm going to give the medium size a try. The Fortress that I have is nice and light but I don't have a lot of room to store it.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Fortress anchors work great and are lightweight. They DO require a length of chain on them, but that is highly recommended for ALL anchors. Chain gives a bit of "gravity bungee" effect.

I personally use a large galvanized Danforth fluke anchor with no chain, A medium sized econo Hooker fluke with no chain, and a large CQR plow anchor. All of them work great as long as you set them properly. I've never had any of them come loose by themselves (except in smooth rock bottoms - which we ain't got around here).

I'm sure everybody has their own preference for setting anchors, but I always run far uphill from my target resting place and throw er in. I then back downhill from my target spot, letting out scads of line. I then tie off and set her hard. I try to go WAY past the 7:1 rope:depth recommendation. After she grabs then I pull back to my target spot and tie off. If I don't want to rotate, then while I am "back" I'll throw off a smaller secondary anchor and pull forward of my target to set it also. Then pull back and tie off.

One of my regular spots I have put a chain on a big tree on the point. I drop the anchor on the cruiser out and back up to the tree. I put a 30' line off the stern to the chain and use the windlass to set the anchor. The Windlass is rated for 3000# of straightline pull. I bog her down real good.

Held fine in a storm with 65+ mph winds (tornado less than 1/2 mile away). Was a bit concerned, but it never flinched.

I see too often boats dropping nice anchors and staying right on top of them. I hear gripes about the anchors not holding, but these guys never give them a chance to hold. Sometimes they snag a stump of something so they just think their anchors are crap and only work half the time. You just can't teach these guys.

I think, though, that the light weight benefits of a Fortress aren't all that great if you don't use a chain. You'd be better off with a galvanized anchor that you can wrap in a towel and stow. (I don't like the idea of all that chain rattling around while jumping waves either).
Old 09-04-2002, 07:20 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am a Fortress supporter. Never once had a problem with it. I too have a good length of chain on it to help it along

I would buy another Fortress in a heartbeat.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:24 AM
Registered

I'm with Doc. We bought the large box anchor (33 Outlaw) and couldn't be happier. No chain, shorter line, and its sets 1st time, everytime. Folds up nicely as well.

BN, teeth aren't sharp. We anchor in a sandbar all the time and I was worried about that too.

Stepping on a danforth that set on its side hurts more (trust me )

Last edited by bajadude; 09-04-2002 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:17 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I wasn't happy with my Fortress and bought the Box Anchor. It was a great purchase. I would highly recommend one.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:23 PM
bn
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MitchStellin - I left you a message. Give me a call or email me when you get a chance: [email protected]

(Your pm box was full)
Old 09-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say what you like, I have found Bayliners make the best anchors. Cheap, and they get to the bottom fast.

(Couldn't resist.)
Old 09-09-2002, 07:56 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Look Brian, just buy them both, see which you like best, and give me the other for Christmas!!!
Old 09-10-2002, 10:42 AM
bn
Registered

That's a good idea, but somehow I think I would be getting the bad end of that deal!
Old 09-10-2002, 10:43 AM
bn
Registered

That's a good idea Chris, but somehow I think that I would be getting the bad end of that deal!