Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fortress Aluminum Anchors (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32224-fortress-aluminum-anchors.html)

bn 09-03-2002 11:05 AM

Fortress Aluminum Anchors

My brother lost my anchor this weekend and I am looking to replace it. I was just on the Fortress Anchor website:

http://www.fortressanchors.com/index.html

and I am wondering if anyone has had any experiance with their less expensive model - The Guardian?? I know people that have the Fortress and they all think it's the best anchor. Is this Guardian model any good or should I buck up and buy the Fortress?

Also, is it easy and quick to assemble and dissemble?

fountain27ho496 09-03-2002 11:15 AM

Buck up

Dont know about the guardian, have the small
fortress, 85.00, throw it in, and forget about it.

Dock Holiday 09-03-2002 11:36 AM

I did not have good luck with the Fortress.

Lost a cheap galvanized anchor that worked GREAT. Both a Fortress for the 27 Baja thinking it was the best. I purchased the correct size for the boat and it was a bear to get it to set and usually a good wake would pull it loose. I never overnighted with it because I was not comfortable it would hold. Ended up putting 8 feet of chain on it to make it work to suit.

Just yesterday we rafted up next to a 35 Formula and he put his Fortress in the water. We ended up with five boats total in 25 foot of water and the anchor let go.

I purchased a Box anchor for my 36 Outlaw I now have and I have to tell you it is the best Anchor I have ever owned.

I have had three boats rafted off of me and it never moves. If I had used my anchor yesterday we would have stayed right where we started.

The great thing is NO CHAIN REQUIRED, and you do not have to set it, just drop it in the water. The bad thing is they are a little heavy to bring back up.

Not bad mouthing Fortress, I just did not have good luck with it.

Buy a Box Anchor and you WILL be happy.

Mark

rv 09-03-2002 11:40 AM

I second what Dock said. Had both and currently own box anchor. Best one we ever had. He is right, you drop the anchor and it is set, no pulling needed or wondering if is has set yet.

Rick

jokerswild 09-03-2002 11:51 AM

Delta anchor's are the best and worry free in tidal waters- period

Tantrum 09-03-2002 12:05 PM

I have the fortress and it is a bear to set. I put a stainless chain on to add some wieght. The nice part is the duffle storage bag and the light wieght which is easy on the boat. For 95% of my boating I keep the Fortress on board just so I have an anchor in an emergency. If I plan to raft up or anchor I bring the galvanized.

Tinkerer 09-03-2002 02:11 PM

I have two FORTRESS anchors and my only complaint is the dam things set so hard that sometimes I can hardly pull them up. Even in a mud bottom. I have 10 ft of chain on them because that is the only way that they will set properly. At loto I had a hard time pulling it up. Everyone told me it was a rock bottom but I pulled up mud. Main channel and party cove both.

CigDaze 09-03-2002 02:15 PM

I have had great luck with my fortress anchor. I picked it up at Boat-US and there were two models side-by-side. One was expensive and the other was cheaper. They looked and felt identical except one was more shiny than the other. I opted for the cheaper one and it works great. It sets every time, the first time. Maybe they really depend on the bottom, but in FL sandy conditions, it works awesome. I've never had to worry about it.

Mines a #11 with about 6' of chain.

MitchStellin 09-03-2002 03:13 PM

I have one you can buy. It is in perfect shape (how can you wreck an anchor) and is large enough for a 35 foot boat. I will go home and check the size. Call me at 616-546-6309 days and i will get you the info. I have no idea what it is worth. Maybe $1,000? Just kidding. make an offer.

formula31 09-03-2002 04:34 PM

I also am a fortress supporter, #11 with 6' of 3/8 ss chain and the proper amount of 1/2" line and Ive never had it miss a hook up, even resets when the wind changes direction, have no problem sleeping on the hook with the fortress. I also have had troubles get it out sometimes, burys so deep.