Plaintiff Counsel Sees Gratton Settlement As Victory >

Plaintiff Counsel Sees Gratton Settlement As Victory

Notices

Plaintiff Counsel Sees Gratton Settlement As Victory

Old 01-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
Jeffrey Tillman and Robert Morgan are the two others. If a race organisation has a policy to never stop a race with an overturned boat, not use helicopters or certified rescue people then in my view they are irresponsible and should not be in control of a race. No I have never raced, you don't need to be a racer to have an opinion or common sense. If you believe that a race organiser shouldn't have extremely strict safety policies then one should question your common sense. Would Indy or Nascar keep a race going while a car was upside down? Its a ridiculous concept
Where is this policy you talk about?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=extras;4253153]
Originally Posted by mike tkach
it,s a victory for the plaintiff,lawyers don,t work for free,why do you think they should.i am sure the plaintiff knew what the lawyers percent was before she signed on the dotted line.imo it takes a narrow minded person to say [it,s a victory for the lawyers].this lawyer proved his case,he did his job.the job he was paid to do.[/QUOT

The defense lawyer gets paid also. Like I said both lawyers won. Jackass
name calling is usually done by ignorant people,looks like you fit the bill! NARROW MINDED.they both got paid for the work they did.they both were hired to do their job,don,t you understand?

Last edited by mike tkach; 01-21-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
What is up with the question "Do you race?" I am sure none of the members of the jury race, and if the trial were to continue their say would hold the most value.
I didn't know I was talking with a member of the jury who wasted their time.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by extras
I didn't know I was talking with a member of the jury who wasted their time.

You're not. You're posting in an open forum. And to refute your delusion even further, the jury did it's job, they listened to the testimony presented to them. No wasted time.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 01-21-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

While I know nothing about this settlement I can speak from experience on two parts of it.

Insurance policies have a maximum pay out or coverage, beyond that your stuck attempting to collect from the defendant only. If you decide not to settle and actually win, it's onto a couple years of appeals, then trying to nail down assets you can go after. IF they haven't been liquidated or hidden first... "Sole Proprietor Corporations" exist for good reasons. Any good lawyer will explain all this to ya in layman terms when your blowing off those initial settlement offers. But the good ones wait till a jury is selected to pull the trigger....

For the second part, I personally know the safety diver mentioned in the article at the center of this case. While he might be a full time tattoo artist, that no way takes away from his other skills or strengths. I only recently met him, and spent the day diving in the keys, 1 on 1. I'm down at 40' with scuba gear, and he is free diving beside me for minutes at a time. He's someone who grew up on the water and around fast boats. 10yrs on that rescue team I believe, and diffidently not in it for the money. We accidentally stumbled onto this topic during unrelated conversation. I heard his side, face to face, and can tell you it haunts him. But I wouldn't hesitate for a second to put him put him on my safety crew if my life was on the line. A stand up guy who did his best in a very chaotic situation IMO. Then withstood hours of grilling from attorneys in depositions. Probably didn't change the facts in any way. Hopefully something was learned from this tragic event that helps make everyone safer going forward. It will always remain a fairly dangerous racing sport at minimum.

But in the end a settlement changes nothing for those families involved. Yes it's closure of one small part, allows each side to continue on with life, but that's about it. This I will say from experience.

-K.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
Would Indy or Nascar keep a race going while a car was upside down? Its a ridiculous concept
NOPE, but no matter how many releases are signed by the competitors (drivers & or crew) they still get sued.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In my opinion Policy doesn't infer "WRITTEN" but more so a procedure or decision making process by which they tend to operate by with a fair amount of consistency. Like Comanche mentioned about NASCAR, there's no written rule that the race will be placed under caution or a red flag for an overturned vehicle but you can count on it happening based on precedence & history.

Just my $.02!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My comment was based on the plaintiffs lawyers statement that this is the policy of the sbi. I dont know it to be true which is why I said if.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:56 AM
Registered

If there is a policy not to stop races why do they go over it in the drivers meetings?
Old 01-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
You're not. You're posting in an open forum. And to refute your delusion even further, the jury did it's job, they listened to the testimony presented to them. No wasted time.
Everybody on that jury wasted their time. All they did was sit there. Both sides and anybody with half a brain knew that this case would settle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.