Notices

Good mud anchor

Old 01-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by venmous28
Fortress is the brand to buy.
I have a decent galv steel anchor that is nearly identical in size and shape to my big Fortress and it will not hold nearly as well. I also think the hard anodizing makes them easier to clean. Mine gets pretty mucked up and a couple extra drops back in the water cleans it right up.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-30-2015, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonb_05
I will sell you my old worn out 454, it will work great for a anchor.
My X girlfriend would work better
Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Appropriately-sized FX with a good length of chain and plenty of scope should hold you tight in mud. Works for me. I had a box anchor for exactly 2 days. Biggest POS anchor I've ever owned/used.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Digger anchors
Old 01-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Box Anchor all the way and doesn't require any chain. A general rule of thumb for the scope while anchoring on a calm day 5/1, windy day 7/1 and storm weather 10+/1. In other words using a calm day as an example. For every foot of water depth, let out five feet of anchor rode. Example: 10' depth = 50' anchor rode.

Last edited by Ing; 01-30-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Cool try this one

I agree with ford 350. google "Digger Anchors", get the 15 pound anchor.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Does she weigh more then 200lbs to keep the boat on place?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:57 AM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ing
Box Anchor all the way and doesn't require any chain. A general rule of thumb for the scope while anchoring on a calm day 5/1, windy day 7/1 and storm weather 10+/1. In other words using a calm day as an example. For every foot of water depth, let out five feet of anchor rode. Example: 10' depth = 50' anchor rode.
Ing got it right. Rule of thumb is 7-1 scope, but if just anchoring for the day and staying on the boat you can get away with less, if you drag the anchor, you're there to reset it.

The whole idea is to have enough rode out that when the boat pulls on the rode it is pulling parallel to the bottom so the anchor will continue to dig in. That is why you also have chain on the anchor then the rode. The weight of the chain helps to keep the rode on the bottom pulling parallel to the bottom. Take your anchor out on a beach and lay it in the sand. Then start pulling on the rode. Pull with the rode flat on the ground and watch how the anchor will dig right in to the sand. Now stand up and pull so the rode and chain come off the ground, and start pulling back like your a boat. The anchor will pop right out. Sand is the best bottom to hold in, mud and grass next, rock is tough to get a hold of. Any brand of fluke type anchor is good as long as used right.

A box anchor is good, and doesn't need chain because they have the short heavy bar before the rode that acts as chain, and the box design digs in pretty well in most bottom types. You can also get away with less rode but more is always better. Do the same beach test to see how the box works.

The problem is when in a really cool, but small cove, putting out 7-1 scope may have you swinging into others who only put out 4 or 5-1 and are hopping for the best.

If you plan to overnight on the hook, you will sleep much better knowing that you set the anchor properly and it won't drag. If you're just in a cove for the day, you may want to just put out what ever you can so as to not swing into others and reset if you have to.

Last edited by blefever; 01-31-2015 at 01:00 AM.