Not a ramble at all, you highlight some good points. However, my problem in responding to technical question like these is – as everyone on the board knows – I have very little knowledge of motors etc. But I will try.
The gas in the fuel is not a theory – it was there! The person that discovered it is highly capable of making the call. How did it get in there, that’s the question for which my technical ability is short. However, I can still try logic! Such as, it wasn’t a problem before the blowers went on, it hasn’t been a problem since the blowers were taken off, therefore, I think it had something to do with the blowers. What do you guys think?
Concerning anything else being modified, Dustin would have to answer that. I took the boat to Semper for the installation (he use to work for Whipple). On the first test run they burnt a piston and tulip a valve. Whipple reworked the engine, put restrictors in to get the water pressure up, ran it and gave it back to me. I know for a fact they took my boat out two days in a row to map the computer chips, so I guess you could say the computer was changed.
I always thought that fuel or water in the oil would change it enough to be noticeable. On the day we discovered it, my untrained eye could not detect it – but I could smell it.
Put the blowers back on and see what happens? I don’t think I’m going to get that past the wife – unless the Whipples want to sign a contract of some kind. Which is a great segue to my last point.
I don’t have any experience or technical knowledge on this subject. That’s why I went with a reputable big name who’s advertisement declared their system, “allows maximum performance to be obtained from a stock engine WITHOUT SACRIFICING RELIABILITY.” (emphasis added) “Every part is included for a SIMPLE BOLT-ON INSTALLATION.” (emphasis added again)
I didn’t stop there. I called members of this board and got referrals. I went to Fresno and toured their plant (see previous thread of mine). I had multiple phone conversations with Dustin emphasizing reliability was a big objective, not maximum performance.
Bottom line – They never worked right from the first throttle up and they only lasted two weeks.