Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat? >

New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat?

Notices

New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem I see is your talking about upgrading to a bigger, staggered boat. So to me no matter how much you put into your current ride I think you'll always want more. My guess is you would be lucky to recoup 25% or less of what you put in it. If it was me, I would start looking for a new boat.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would agree, sell the current boat and move up to what it sounds like you want anyway... a 36-38' staggered vee. You'll be money far ahead and there's s significant performance advantage with the 36-38' vee.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

This is one of my wife and my favorite games. Every time we think about changing/ upgrading boats we have a few drinks, figure out the budget for the upgrade and then look at what is out there currently in the same price range as the boat+upgrades. If we could find something we both liked we would sell the current boat. If we couldn't find anything we would do the upgrade.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:54 AM
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the monetary side, trading up to the newer boat makes more sense. If you love the Sunsation and want to keep it for 4-5 years, do the upgrades on paint and power. You get your value for the money you spent by driving it and enjoying it. If you think you are going to change boats again in a year or two, don't do the upgrades.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Registered

My thoughts were to modify with more power and a nice look for a couple years of additional use...I'm assuming going to a 36' with staggered blue motors will cost me depending on vintage from 175-225k for something in the 2006 or newer range....

I can respect the fact that even with 30-50k of upgrades, I will more than likely be eating all of it when it does come time to sell...I'd say right now before any upgrades, it's a 40k boat at best..
Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Registered

Have you considered just upgrading to a different boat for the time being to enjoy for a few years and then sell it to get what you really want. With your trade and the money you was going to invest in it you could buy a newer boat that would be worth more come trade in time! But at the end of the day, it's your money and you get to choose how to spend no matter what anyone thinks.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o60646-en.html
Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell it!!!! Not only for the reasons mentioned already, but also keep this in mind - As soon as you get the motors out, you will paint the bilge. Once you get the paint done, then the cockpit will look dated, so add another 7-8K. Once that's done, then the dash looks dated, new gauges and throttles/shifters. Then the cabin looks dated. Then, then, then.....you get the picture. And this doesn't take into account that you will probably have to upgrade your drives in some form or fashion.

I was warned of this before I started my boat remake and wish I had taken the advice of all that said don't do it. Now I have WAY more $$$ than I could possibly ever hope to get out of it. I probably could have bought a close to new #6 boat at this point.

With that said, I do have exactly what I want and know exactly what I've got- motors, drives, rigging, etc. In your situation, you will do all these upgrades and still want a bigger boat. SELL IT!!!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Registered

I think TCBoss302 makes the case...dump it...ultimately, I already know that even with better power and paint, I'll want bigger sooner than later. I've already had the interior redone by Sunsation and there would be those cockpit and bilge upgrades that would have to match everything else. I appreciate all of the inputs.

Blwhiti, does Pier 57 put your boat on consignment or do they buy the boat?

Now to try and sell my boat...
Old 02-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Canamman
I think TCBoss302 makes the case...dump it...ultimately, I already know that even with better power and paint, I'll want bigger sooner than later. I've already had the interior redone by Sunsation and there would be those cockpit and bilge upgrades that would have to match everything else. I appreciate all of the inputs.

Blwhiti, does Pier 57 put your boat on consignment or do they buy the boat?

Now to try and sell my boat...
I'm sure they would be willing to do both. I've never really had any dealings with them personally but they seem to have a very good reputation. Good luck in what ever you decide.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Registered

Thank you everyone for the responses....much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.