Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat? >

New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat?

Notices

New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a different boat with what you want or go broke trying to make what you want.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Canamman, where do you live/boat?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harrison Township, MI....Lake St. Clair...typically stay in the lake but went to Put-in Bay and Cedar Point last year....want to take new boat to upper MI, run around the thumb and up the east coast of MI and run around Cheboygan, Mac Island....
Old 02-05-2015, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Canamman
Secondwind, that does sound like a great idea but my problem is wrenching on boats....I don't have the skill set or time to do those things and hitting stock motors with mods scares the $$$ out of me...I want to stay stock Mercs and feel confident running 4-5 hours alone without the fear of blowing a motor...
My previous boat had a stock Mercruiser 454MAG EFI that struggled w/ vapor lock on really warm days. My current boat is powered by a carbed roots blower motor setup by Eddie Young. The only time it didn't fire on a quick turn of the key last year is when I accidentally pulled the kill switch off. Mercruiser builds some good stuff but to think they're the only game in town that builds reliable marine power is short cited. I also don't have the time and knowledge to wrench on a boat. I just fill the thing up with gas, a lot!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Registered

That's great news you have reliability with that...I agree Mercs not the only game in town but knowing the right mechanic for the setup they recommend or you already have is problematic...Mercs, at least around here, you have a handful of guys that you can go to....have you heard good or bad about 700 SCIs?...
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

The 700SCIs I'm sure are fantastic motors. They're out of my league financially. I still need to put three kids through college, ouch!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Registered

right on...OUCH is right...3 kids, college equals 3 700s plus 10 years of fuel....the problem I've been having, living in MI is finding these types of boats for sale....it seems you have to go out of state south or far west and then you really don't know what you're buying...putting up close to 200k for a used boat is something I'm sure a lot of people do but for me it seems daunting especially when you look at Mercury Racings site for a new 700 SCI with an NXT drive and they want 71000$...
Old 02-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Registered

Well you are at the right place for help my friend. I had to go to Illinois to get my current boat because there are not really any here in Pittsburgh for me to look at. I pretty much knew ahead of time that I was going to have to travel to get what I wanted. Don't be afraid to do that or be afraid to ask members here about anything that you might be interested in. There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on OSO. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Canamman
right on...OUCH is right...3 kids, college equals 3 700s plus 10 years of fuel....the problem I've been having, living in MI is finding these types of boats for sale....it seems you have to go out of state south or far west and then you really don't know what you're buying...putting up close to 200k for a used boat is something I'm sure a lot of people do but for me it seems daunting especially when you look at Mercury Racings site for a new 700 SCI with an NXT drive and they want 71000$...
Call Mike at American Custom Marine. He would help you look. He is in your back yard and I trust him
Old 02-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Registered

Thanks RollWithIt....it does seem everyone has jumped on and offered some sound advice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.