Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is there a way to get a trailer titled after it has been paid for? >

Is there a way to get a trailer titled after it has been paid for?

Notices

Is there a way to get a trailer titled after it has been paid for?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
It is over that weight. Want to say it is a 5k off hand.
5K for an Aluminum Trailer seems kind of high. I think my Manning (steel) trailer is in the 3K range...
If you've exhausted all avenues at the dealership (have you spoken to G/M or owner?) the trailer builder should be able to provide you at least a copy of the MSO. You may need to send them a copy of your paperwork with the dealer (including trailer VIN) as verification that you are the legal owner of the trailer that they manufactured.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by offshore312
5K for an Aluminum Trailer seems kind of high. I think my Manning (steel) trailer is in the 3K range...
If you've exhausted all avenues at the dealership (have you spoken to G/M or owner?) the trailer builder should be able to provide you at least a copy of the MSO. You may need to send them a copy of your paperwork with the dealer (including trailer VIN) as verification that you are the legal owner of the trailer that they manufactured.

The GM/Owner won't return anything I send (email or calls). I do know he is very busy at this time with something away from his business but just a simple time frame would help.

I feel powerless and without answer if someone comes in and wants the boat.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that any boat trailer over 2,000 lbs in weight requires a title. Under 2,000 lbs can be transferred via bill of sale. I would contact the manufacturer of the trailer and see what they can do to help.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Nate,

Florida will want the wieght of the "trailer" also. I had Myco send me mine and I am sure whoever built yours will. If not they told me to run it across some scales,,,,,, without a boat on it.
Pita but they excepted the letter from Myco.

Not what it is built to carry.

As reference my steel myco is 1800lbs and rated to carry 11,000.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dirtlawyer
I believe that any boat trailer over 2,000 lbs in weight requires a title. Under 2,000 lbs can be transferred via bill of sale. I would contact the manufacturer of the trailer and see what they can do to help.

Trailer company won't do anything other than confirm the build, purchase date, and who it was sold too.

Since the dealer bought it......they need to show the tx and all was paid.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Listen to the advice given to you. Have your trailer weighed, it's not over 5k. All you need is a weight slip and the vin # to get plates. Show proof that you payed sales tax and you should be all set.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

The easiest way might be to register as Home built
Old 02-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Listen to the advice given to you. Have your trailer weighed, it's not over 5k. All you need is a weight slip and the vin # to get plates. Show proof that you payed sales tax and you should be all set.

It is not that easy to just bump my boat somewhere and then weigh the trailer. Not saying I won't go that route but trying to take the easy route first.

The boat is now in the hands of the broker, not on the eater, in a showroom, and over an 1hr drive from me.

Also I can not prove tax was paid. Just an email from the dealer saying pay "$X" for trailer and tax. I made one check to that dealer..... If they paid the tax or not is unknown, I am just assuming they did as they are a large boat dealer here in FL

Last edited by Nate5.0; 02-03-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer prob did not pay tax and that is why he is being a d*ck...
Old 02-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
It is not that easy to just bump my boat somewhere and then weigh the trailer. Not saying I won't go that route but trying to take the easy route first.
If you are in contact with the mfg, they will give you the information that you need.
It will need to be on their letter head.

I bought a boat from a state that doesn't title trailers, and it wasn't a big deal.
Here in MI, VIN, weight, & taxes is the only thing that matters.

From the sounds of it, even though the dealer is being a douche, you have / or have access to everything you need.
I don't think it is as big of a deal as you think, good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.