Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is there a way to get a trailer titled after it has been paid for? >

Is there a way to get a trailer titled after it has been paid for?

Notices

Is there a way to get a trailer titled after it has been paid for?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Is there a way to get a trailer titled after it has been paid for?

Long story short and not naming any names yet.

I bought my trailer brand new. Paid the tax and build amount in one check. The check was written to the dealer and not the trailer company.

My trailer was then dropped off with no tags or paper work (I was out of country when the boat came in).

I never thought much of it and slapped a transporter tag I have on it and never had a single issue since I just go to the dock and back.

Well now the boat is for sale. I can not sell the trailer to someone though being it is not properly register or tagged. I have emailed (about 5 times now) and called the dealer and his staff. Left messages and all and get nothing back at all. I got an email stating they will look into it for me but that is it and only after my very first email.

I have the copy of the check, and the letter saying how the check breaks down (trailer and tax cost). Can the DMV issue me tag with that or do the need proof the dealer actually paid the tax?

Last edited by Nate5.0; 02-03-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

In Ohio you need a manufacturers certificate of origin or an actual title. Most state do not issue titles for trailers, so cert. of origin is the official paperwork. The Dealer would supply the paperwork at purchase, now you have an uphill battle. Worse case look into getting the trailer tagged as a self assembled thru the state.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:01 AM
Registered

Ya my current broker said get the MSO copy from him.

I know the dealer is busy but simple communication isn't too much to ask for.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

i would think the DMV could issue plates with proof that that sales tax was paid via dealer. Not sure where you are registering and I know you already paid taxes, but you could always register in a state that doesn't require taxes or title if you don't mind paying registration fees. I know you are selling but at least it would be registered.

Last edited by 1MOSES1; 02-03-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Have you tried the trailer manufacture yet?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Have you tried the trailer manufacture yet?

Ya.

I went to them first as to not have the dealer deal with a small issue. However since I wrote the check to the dealer and paid them for taxes and all. It falls back on them, all the trailer company did was confirm the request build date and that it was sold to the dealer.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

In Ohio You need only a weigh slip if the trailer is under 3 or 4k lbs if it is over that then you need the cert of origin or title. When I bought my boat I took the old registration to the DMV and said I just bought this trailer and I walked out with plates. If it is under the certain weight all you need to do is have a certified stamped weigh slip. You can get them at scrap yards who have certified scales or truck stops that have sertified scales.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by redsled33
In Ohio You need only a weigh slip if the trailer is under 3 or 4k lbs if it is over that then you need the cert of origin or title. When I bought my boat I took the old registration to the DMV and said I just bought this trailer and I walked out with plates. If it is under the certain weight all you need to do is have a certified stamped weigh slip. You can get them at scrap yards who have certified scales or truck stops that have sertified scales.

It is over that weight. Want to say it is a 5k off hand.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:12 AM
Registered

Old 02-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every state is different when it comes to license for a trailer , checked out fla. tax website and it looks like the dealer is required to take tax when sold so the dealer will have to give you a tax paid statement along with the mso and bill of sale.

I just bought a new trailer in Pa., picked up a new to me boat in Ny. then brought them both back to Mo. and all the license office really wanted was the bill of sale's so they could take some more money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.