Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Wire the $ to your acct.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiMike
So if someone paid a reputable surveyor to inspect and sea trial with you as captain, you would still feel that way?

That is serious intent from a perspective buyer in my opinion.

the deposit is needed for a couple of reasons , what if another buyer comes along , a deposit holds the boat for the prospective buyer . The deposit also means that the buyer is seriously interested and not a joy rider. The deposit also will pay for the expense of the sea trial if the buyer wants to back out for no legit reason . I understand that someone is interested if they are having a survey done, but i still feel a deposit is needed before sea trial. The deposit is refundable if the boat doesn't perform as expected.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomFTM
the deposit is needed for a couple of reasons , what if another buyer comes along , a deposit holds the boat for the prospective buyer . The deposit also means that the buyer is seriously interested and not a joy rider. The deposit also will pay for the expense of the sea trial if the buyer wants to back out for no legit reason . I understand that someone is interested if they are having a survey done, but i still feel a deposit is needed before sea trial. The deposit is refundable if the boat doesn't perform as expected.
So your selling your boat you place an ad,then someone calls likes your boat.hires a surveyor to look for him,.you ask for deposit.If your boat is a pos in surveyors sea trial opinion,advises not to buy.You think it's perfect and you don't think a refund is due. no thanks.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MichiMike
So your selling your boat you place an ad,then someone calls likes your boat.hires a surveyor to look for him,.you ask for deposit.If your boat is a pos in surveyors sea trial opinion,advises not to buy.You think it's perfect and you don't think a refund is due. no thanks.
Your missing the point, I'm not looking to hose anyone out of a deposit , never have and never plan on. My point is that there are a lot of people out there that want to go for a boat ride and are not seriously interested ,the deposit locks the boat up for the prospective buyer and usually separates tire kicker and buyer. I would always refund the deposit if the buyer backs out legitimately . I also put on the deposit bill of sale , sale contingent on satisfactory survey and sea trial . Sorry if I did not make it clear enough. I usally only ask for a couple hundred dollar deposit to hold the boat .

Mike I have a question , do u think the seller should hold the boat for the guy that is having the survey done without a deposit? What if a buyer calls him and say I'm a cash buyer and I will buy the boat , no survey . needed.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Registered

Guess I don't understand joyriders wanting a boat ride,sick fuks.
Most boats that go for sale I see takes some time.But Yes cash in hand wins......not my problem, to the other guy.

A member here looked at the Scarab I bought, kicked the tires.Called seller weeks later to buy..... and me and cash had scooped it up lol.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=MichiMike;4262097]Guess I don't understand joyriders wanting a boat ride,sick fuks.
Most boats that go for sale I see takes some time.But Yes cash in hand wins......not my problem, to the other guy.

i just bought another boat last week , made an offer , seller accepted and he wanted deposit right away to hold it .

There are plenty of people around here (NY) that would just go for a ride and really have no intention of buying . I have seen it all . It's usually one of the first things they ask , can we go for a ride. I say right after we neg. price and u give me a deposit . Tom
Old 02-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Don't lose a buyer to a stroker, deposit, paid in full or it's still for sale to anyone showing up with $$$
Old 03-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Deal went off without a hitch. I did get $1k in deposit money to hold the boat. Then I met the buyer at his bank and had him have a cashiers check cut right there. Thought in would follow up in case this helps anyone else in the future.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by poulsen11@yahoo.
Deal went off without a hitch. I did get $1k in deposit money to hold the boat. Then I met the buyer at his bank and had him have a cashiers check cut right there. Thought in would follow up in case this helps anyone else in the future.
Glad to hear that, everyone loves a clean transaction.
There's no way I'd purchase a boat of the caliber we enjoy without a written contract subjecting the vessel to be surveyed as mechanically and structurally sound and seaworthy after the seatrial by an accredited marine surveyor to protect my interests and allow me an out if it failed any portion.
As for a buyer of one I'm selling it's their choice to take my word for it or pay a professional to represent their best interests.
Never trust a seller's word, not because their misrepresenting the boat, but because there could be hidden defects they were unaware of.
My purchase fell into this category, a boat which spent 9 months a year on a pallet rack also spent 3 months a year up north tied to the dock for almost 15 years. There were hundreds of pencil head sized blisters in the gelcoat from water contact below the freeboard.
This was a deal breaker unless the averaged repair cost from 3 estimations was deducted from the sale price.
The seller had no idea of them as it was always valeted to and from the dock at his summer home on Lake Winnepausaki

See ya
Kelly
Old 03-22-2015, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Only way I'd take a bank check would be if I saw the teller print it , and hand it over while I was watching . A wire transfer is my favorite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.