Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What companies should be racing F2?...Owners please chine in. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32288-what-companies-should-racing-f2-owners-please-chine.html)

BryanTuvell 09-05-2002 05:15 PM

I was reading Scarabs are done, no more.
I ask a guy we know that works for the test team and got "no comment". We have 3 33's in our club, nice boats and run strong on stock 496's or 502's.

I love to watch the boat racing and I am sure in the long run most of the technology is shared in one fashion or another, regardless of team.

GO DONZI. Bryan

RumRunner 09-05-2002 07:31 PM

I would think the usefulness would vary from manufacture to manufacture. If the company builder sells a lot of boats with HP500's then going F-1, or F-2 makes a sense. If they are say a smaller company that does more one off type stuff maybe P-3 or P-2 would be better. Either way they can learn how rig there boats better for the abuse of racing conditions. If they hold up during that they'll be great for the weekend warrior. Also with the open rules in the P-Classes the manufactures could try some new "pro-types" that may not be legal other places, but would give them an edge to sell with.

The poker runs would help also, but again which end of the market at the runs do you go after ? Stock 502 powered we're out here to enjoy ourselfs or 1300HP Sterlings we want to be first to the card stop ? Not everyone can afford the big power, but gets you a ton more ink !!!

I too would've loved to have seen what that Gladiator could have done with this years water conditions.

I'll close with a question. Why do we see so many Warlocks in F-1 ? Is it that much better of a boat ? Is it because the Factory was helping out a lot of people back in the day ? Or just because no one else has the pockets ?

blackhawk 09-05-2002 08:58 PM

I think that racing sells boats to a certain market. Donzi was out of racing for several years when I bought my boat. But I bought it based on it's reputation(and looks). :D

However, when I can afford a brand new 26-30 foot boat it will be a Kryptonite Sport 27. Why, because they are a kick ass boat. How do I know? Because I did my reasearch. Why did I do my research? Because I saw Typhoon racing kicking ass in a Kryptonite. Sure, those guys are very skilled drivers, but the boat has to be bad-ass to take it!

I would also buy a Warlock, Activator, Velocity, Sonic, Pantera or a few others I am forgetting. Why? Because they build bad-ass race boats. I am single and I want a boat that rocks, looks sweet and has a cabin big enough to sleep 2, period.

By the way, I think my next boat will be a 24 Pantera. Then maybe a 27 in a few years.

BryanTuvell 09-05-2002 09:02 PM

BALCKHAWK, what hull number are you?
I hear allot of talk about those boats, they sound awesome.

Bryan

Fry 09-05-2002 10:25 PM

Why so many Warlocks in F1?

Rum Runner, before I bought my Warlock I flew to and drove to every corner of this country for two years before I made my decision. I drove everything anyone would let me!
I bought the Warlock because I felt the safest in that boat at race pace. The cockpit (imho) is laid out great, even from an ejection stand point. I don't like F1 boats that have your legs under a long dash, makes the whole ejection process worse.
I also felt the boat responds better than alot of boats at those speeds, especially in the rough. Our race boat is a handfull and slow in the calm but in the rough it's a totally new game, the thing is on rails and can take a huge beating. I have raced the GLSCS for two years and I can tell you that if a race boat lives through F1 or F2 and the production boats are built on a similar platform they build a good boat. I can't even imagine the pounding some of the Pro-Series teams took this year, some of those races were brutal, my hat is off to them! I hope as Randy does, if we can land a sponsor we can come and run with the Pro-Series guys. Sponsorship in the mid-west is very hard to come by nonetheless trying to fund a full season on your pocket, theres not enough hrs in the day to work.
I feel the factories don't do enough for the race teams, other than a couple. It would be nice to see a few entry fees or regstration fees paid.......hell anything at all would be nice!
The boating BIZ all around seems to a tough nut to crack!

Sincerely, Jeff

blackhawk 09-05-2002 10:54 PM

Bryan, my boat is not one of the 40. I had the opportunity to buy a "limited edition" but I did not care for the graphics. I found the boat I have now a week later with 40 hours on it! Plus I love yellow. My boat is the same without the graphics.

I love the boat. It's a driver's boat with basically 2 speeds. Parked and WFO! :D

audacity 09-05-2002 11:33 PM

well...it's called supply and demand...there is currently not that much demand for offshore racing in the public eye...i personally believe the APBA is working on it....it means not only more $$$ to them but to us! let me say; if your trying to campaign an offshore race team based on TV and boat magazine demographics alone as does NASCAR...your in for big surprise. you need other angles of approach.

now as for DONZI, they are not racing what they build for a pleasure boat nor did they try to. they started with a clean slate and built one bad ass race and poker run machine....kinda rings a bell somewhat like cigarette.

there IS a gladiator in the pro series this year....let's play. hey guess what there is a scarab in the same pro series...i'm in it!...this boat has been in and out of 1st, 2nd and 3rd...currently in 3rd only a few points out...humm,,,,nigle hook ring a bell...runs both svl and sv in the pro series,,,hey, in a scarab...yes there has been something going on in welcraft and scarab...way above our level...who the hell knows where it's going?....

a lot feel they should get more support....WHY??...that is the question...why should we sponsor U! it's not what they can do for us,,,it's what we can do for them!!!!!!! you gota have those answers!....racers see it very one sided most of the time....how about this...you goto a manufacture for a boat. you both agree on a very fair price. he wants to win as do you!...he says for every race you win i'll kick back 20K for making our company look great, 100K for worlds...but for every race you loose you pay an additional 20K back to the company for making us look bad...and yes 100K back after worlds when you don't win...my point is see both sides so you have the answers to their questions...good luck in get'n the $$$ brothers and sistas

TYPHOON 09-06-2002 08:47 AM

I have no problem being payed on performance only.It sound fair to me.It shares the risk for all.
Randy

Offshore Addiction 09-06-2002 08:58 AM

The main reason why I bought a Warlock was the factory sponsorship to run Factory 1 and its reputation- but that never happened as far as sponsorship. Warlock has gone thru some financial troubles and in return has backed out of supporting those who race their boats- yes they do get a lot of attention- look at how many Warlocks are in Factory 1. It would be nice to have the factory's backing for getting their name out.

audacity 09-06-2002 09:15 AM

contingency programs can work out well for both manufacture and racer. i would like to see the APBA's plan for the 2003 pro season so a marketing structure can be executed very soon. a lot of corporations are finalizing next years budget right now...after worlds is too late...the $$$ all gone!