Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
CMI and Miss GEICO Crew Chief Partner On New Headers For Mercury Racing QC4v Engines >

CMI and Miss GEICO Crew Chief Partner On New Headers For Mercury Racing QC4v Engines

Notices

CMI and Miss GEICO Crew Chief Partner On New Headers For Mercury Racing QC4v Engines

Old 02-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlimited. Anything go's. Of corse I'm always wrong an never right. Just ask my better half. Lol

Last edited by akaboatman; 02-14-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boostbros
MGRT have you seen the new AMG engines where they are turning the head around and exausting to the center of the V things that make you go Hmmmm http://www.enginelabs.com/news/new-m...00-horsepower/
Just like the 1965 Ford DOHC Indy engine 50 years ago...
Attached Thumbnails CMI and Miss GEICO Crew Chief Partner On New Headers For Mercury Racing QC4v Engines-1965-ford-dohc.jpg  
Old 02-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Just like the 1965 Ford DOHC Indy engine 50 years ago...
Great pic. We have to learn how to make heat an get it out of the eng. I think the industry's headed in the right direction. Love the advanced things happening today. Thanks
Old 02-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts

And this was a "slow Monday" news story.

I can usually predict which stories will catch fire and which won't. The traffic, as evidenced by this thread and the 2,000-plus reads on speedonthewater.com, completely caught me by surprise.

Carry on gentlemen.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:50 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

What's interesting is that CMI did the original headers when merc was doing R&D on the motor before it was released, and then Merc went with a casting. I'm not trying to say which is better, just thought that to be intriguing.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolerman
What's interesting is that CMI did the original headers when merc was doing R&D on the motor before it was released, and then Merc went with a casting. I'm not trying to say which is better, just thought that to be intriguing.
CMI probably refused to make them out of tin foil.....Fork me once shame on you....
Old 02-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Coolerman
Do you understand cost difference. They (Merc) sell the cast manifold for less then the cost of just the stainless material to build the headers. So Ya its a no brainer....
Old 02-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 243 Posts

what does merc charge for one cast manifold? i,m guessing but about 12g for the stainless?
Old 02-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Registered

About 2k for the manifold and 1500 for the elbow. Each side.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

POSTED BY BAWANA, post #16:

"as far as CMI's being leakers well if you don't over heat them, flush them when used in salt, and plumb enough water to them, they do work... Most that cry about them didn't even buy them new.. they were someone elses used up, not taking care of stuff."

My reply,

That is a half inaccurate assumption about the leaking headers in the past, I had over 10 original purchasers contact me to commence a class action lawsuit against CMI, some years ago. There are plaintiffs that suffered harm, some were and are very knowledgeable boaters, and mechanically inclined individuals.

The lawsuit did not go forward because I was and I am not well financed enough to carry the suit forward in a competent manner ( I am a criminal and DUI attorney), the law firm that was backing me the suit and another New Jersey attorney with over 30 years of practicing law backed out after I had put some significant time in preparing to move the suit forward, due to the lack of funding (money). I took it on the chin, as did the owners of the failed CMI headers. I was banned from OSO for a short period of time due to this very issue and my position.

The issue is dead to me, but the facts were real and prove-able, your assumption is 100% inaccurate; the issue of the 525 headers failures were real, damages occurrred due topotentially bad design, potentially bad welds, possibly poor material quality control, ... metallurgists, design engineers, industry experts would support this position.

Now to these stainless steel welded headers for the turbo, I like the Geico guys, I want the headers to be a success, not fail for them, and if the header fails, figure out why, cure the problem so that the purchasing public has a good quality part that will work for the recreational boater. I hope CMI and Geico succeed, it is a sickening feeling when the recreational boater's motor(s) hydrolock and cause thousands of dollars of damage due to faulty marine header. I have not experienced that failure ever, but other mechanical woes. I hope it works for Geico, CMI, and Mercury, and there will be less less b*tching and more happy boaters.

I am hoping the product succeeds and Geico kicks ass on the race course.

Last edited by Smarty; 02-15-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.