Notices

OL rolls in Doha, Qatar

Old 02-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Snapped off before or after the spin/roll? My guess would be they snapped on reentry/impact as a result of the spin. It was certainly violent enough to do that kind of damage.
Not sure, I forgot to give them my camera to aim at the drives and watch for it.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Snapped off before or after the spin/roll? My guess would be they snapped on reentry/impact as a result of the spin. It was certainly violent enough to do that kind of damage.
If you look closely at the video, you can see them catch an outside (port side) chine. The boat then snaps back, skips / pitches up, then rolls. Tough to say if the first catch did it or they broke off in the roll that followed.

More importantly, both guys are OK. That's a testament to how tough that boat is.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:04 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
If you look closely at the video, you can see them catch an outside (port side) chine. The boat then snaps back, skips / pitches up, then rolls. Tough to say if the first catch did it or they broke off in the roll that followed.

More importantly, both guys are OK. That's a testament to how tough that boat is.
Amen to your last sentence, As I posted elsewhere, Steve Curtis told me he actually drove it back to the wet pits.

Scary moment. I think the military attaches from the British and U.S. embassies in Qatar, and maybe even the British Ambassador to Qatar (they were next to me in the stands, very cool guys) actually heard me launch an F-bomb.