Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I'd like some real world facts from mid cabin owners >

I'd like some real world facts from mid cabin owners

Notices

I'd like some real world facts from mid cabin owners

Old 02-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must admit I've NEVER been a fan of BAJA's. However, that being said I saw a 292 Islander for sale and accidentally showed my wife and...... she really likes it. OH BOY! But I feel like if I'm gonna go that route I might as well look at a Chaparral, Cobalt, Sea Ray, Crownline etc..? Like I said I had narrowed it down to a 28 Nordic Heat and a 29 Shockwave Magnitude. There are plus's and minus's to each boat. It seems to me that the Nordics have the most headroom in the cabin? I'm going from research, I've only been on a Heat MCOB once and it was 3 years ago. I wasn't exactly paying attention to it because at the time I had no intentions of selling my boat. The Shockwave has the cabin doors but I told my wife we cold put snap in sunbrella type doors in the Nordic. Both boats have blue motors as I'm trying to buy something with a blue motor and stay away form a 496.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
I wanted a closed deck, wife wanted an open bow, and we ended up going with MCOB. After looking at Sunsation, Nordic, etc... we ended up with a Baja 292 Islander for one big reason. You have to CRAWL through the front door to get to the open bow. My parents (in their 60's) go boating with us quite a bit and love to ride up front with our 4yo son. There is no way they'd be able to get to the front at their age in a typical MCOB layout. The open bow is nice for docking at LOTO and the big cabin is great for everyone to be able to take a nap in or get out of the sun.

Be sure to look at the real size of the boats and the interior space. You could put a 288 Sunsation inside my boat it is so small. I've had 8 people all stretched out comfortably in mine all day and it never felt cramped.
Does a 292 have a cabin? It kills any MCOB in the seating dept. but I didn't think it had a cabin.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 PM
Registered

Yes it has a small cabin with bench seating or you can put a filler cushion in to possibly sleep 2? It also has a potty. The seating/layout is awesome but like I said, I feel like I might as well get a regular 28' Cobalt, Formula, Crownline etc.. bowrider?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious does the Heat still have side vs a belly tank?

I Like the Laveys 2750 and 29 in this category, way less interior interior pieces to wear down/ shake loose because of the full innerliner.

(I know these aren't MCOB in pict I wanted to point out interior differences in main cabin)

The Vac bag construction is a plus as well.

UD
Attached Thumbnails I'd like some real world facts from mid cabin owners-hat-deck-profile.jpg   I'd like some real world facts from mid cabin owners-gunwhales.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 02-23-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dirty_D
Yes it has a small cabin with bench seating or you can put a filler cushion in to possibly sleep 2? It also has a potty. The seating/layout is awesome but like I said, I feel like I might as well get a regular 28' Cobalt, Formula, Crownline etc.. bowrider?
I did sell the Donzi ZXO for a Cobalt 252 (current boat) two very different animals. As much as I loved the performance look and sound, I had to be practical for the body of water we are at. Also as cool as the Donzi was it did not fit my family needs at this time.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Beachbum28
I owned a 2003 Donzi 28 ZXO for a few years. I loved most everything about the boat. It was a bit hard to get from the cock pit to the bow in a hurry (docking ) and there was a limited amount of storage. Most things I had to put under the seats in the bow area. Sunsation was on top of my list when I was shopping, but the Donzi felt like a bigger boat on the inside. One thing I did like that some of the boats you listed did not offer was doors that closed off the mid cabin. Even though we had them open 99% of the time, it was nice to be able to close them when going to dinner or chilly nights. Good luck in you search.
There is a Baja 292 listed at Performance Boat Center at LOTO for sale. I think it belongs to plow townmissile, I do not know him, but the guys on Midwest Boat Party talk very highly of that particular boat when big open bows are talked about.
Yes, that one is mine and my wife does NOT want me to sell it but I want a cat or Top Gun T/S. My wife said, "Fine, you can list it but not unless it's for X amount of money" lol. I'm probably gonna pull the listing soon, keep it for our place at LOTO, and buy another boat to keep at home to pull to poker runs.

Originally Posted by Dirty_D
I must admit I've NEVER been a fan of BAJA's. However, that being said I saw a 292 Islander for sale and accidentally showed my wife and...... she really likes it. OH BOY! But I feel like if I'm gonna go that route I might as well look at a Chaparral, Cobalt, Sea Ray, Crownline etc..? Like I said I had narrowed it down to a 28 Nordic Heat and a 29 Shockwave Magnitude. There are plus's and minus's to each boat. It seems to me that the Nordics have the most headroom in the cabin? I'm going from research, I've only been on a Heat MCOB once and it was 3 years ago. I wasn't exactly paying attention to it because at the time I had no intentions of selling my boat. The Shockwave has the cabin doors but I told my wife we cold put snap in sunbrella type doors in the Nordic. Both boats have blue motors as I'm trying to buy something with a blue motor and stay away form a 496.
Compared to the SeaRay 290 SLX my family bought new, the Baja 292/Sunsation 288/Nordic/etc are quite a bit faster and alot more fun to drive. The SeaRay 290 SLX with 496HO/Bravo 3 ran 45mph wide open but it did ride VERY nice.

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Does a 292 have a cabin? It kills any MCOB in the seating dept. but I didn't think it had a cabin.
Yes it does and it's actually very big compared to other MCOB's. Enough for two adults and a child to overnight in. Plus it has a head (never used mine). The day I really noticed the size difference between my 292 and a 288 Sunsation is when I tied up with Bigredbaja's boat (very nice, well taken care of boat might I add) at the KY lake fun run.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Dirty_D if your looking for a 288 Sunsation MCOB, put Bigredbaja's boat at the top of your list. It is a really nice one.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Registered

292 is a good choice. Those boats are huge...You won't break any speeds records in it, but its a nice ride none the less.

Was it you I went and peaked at a 288 for a couple weeks back? Guy was out of Ohio, and I no longer have the PMs
Old 02-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Registered

I like the west coast mcob's - like the sunsations too - if you go out to L A you can go to shockwave, eliminator,cobra, hallet and howard, there all right there within hour or so of each other.
laveycraft is there too but think there closed up- I know uncle dave would know. I went out and ended up with a cobra 27 razor, would have been great except motor grenaded shortly after.
there all nice boats, cobra and shockwave are going to feel the biggest imo. would love a howard but couldn't pony up the $$ and they look a lot smaller but top notch.
had a donzi 26 zx but wife had to have the open bow- it is nice, the chicks love it and no problem moving around even for my fat a%@#- lots of freeboard too so the girls feel safe. mcob is great way to go for some of us
Old 02-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghabeck
I like the west coast mcob's - like the sunsations too - if you go out to L A you can go to shockwave, eliminator,cobra, hallet and howard, there all right there within hour or so of each other.
laveycraft is there too but think there closed up- I know uncle dave would know. I went out and ended up with a cobra 27 razor, would have been great except motor grenaded shortly after.
there all nice boats, cobra and shockwave are going to feel the biggest imo. would love a howard but couldn't pony up the $$ and they look a lot smaller but top notch.
had a donzi 26 zx but wife had to have the open bow- it is nice, the chicks love it and no problem moving around even for my fat a%@#- lots of freeboard too so the girls feel safe. mcob is great way to go for some of us
Lavey just moved down the street fairly close to Shockwave.

Not sure which of these guys is a true 24 degree V and who isn't, but the poster didn't bring it up wether he wants a lake rig or a bigger water rig.

Of all the East Coast stuff I liked the Sunsations, and always heard good things about them, then I got a good look at one last year being repaired and was surprised to find bunches of non through bolted screws holding things together like the bling mounted into the hatch.

Maybe the guy added this on,or maybe this was factory - but stuff like that was all over this particular rig.

UD
Attached Thumbnails I'd like some real world facts from mid cabin owners-sunsation-hatch-.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 02-24-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.