I'd like some real world facts from mid cabin owners >

I'd like some real world facts from mid cabin owners

Notices

I'd like some real world facts from mid cabin owners

Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's not much room in the Sunsations. After I started propagating I found Baja to be the most bang for the buck albeit slowing down quite a few MPH.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of a 28 Heat with a fresh 1000 HP engine that may be on the market in the next couple of weeks. Contact me if you have any interest and I'll put you in touch with the owner. It is absolutely the most immaculate boat you'll ever see, and it's a 2006 model.

Bob Lloyd
Old 02-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the question is whats the budget and where are ya going boating- 1st of all baja doesn't make a mid cabin right?? so no comparison and don't want to offend Baja nation but I think your comparing to boats that are a bit more custom as well vs a more production boat- doesn't mean its bad, I would love one given the right circumstances but no comparison to say lavey or howard or even cobra for that matter- spose iam bias but I have looked at them (spent to much $ doing it too) also- believe the 26 cobra razor is 22 degree single step and quite bit faster than my 27 r that's 24 degree 2 step. the 26 shows just as roomy too, I get up to lake Ontario often so that's why I went with the 27. cool cruzin was that your boat on cobras facebook sight last yr ?? thats nice boat. and uncle dave - believe you posted quite a few pics of your lavey being built- I wanted one in the worst way, almost bought a used 29 from private owner but couldn't pull funds together at the time- lavey were closed up when I stoped by a couple a years ago and I was told they hadn't built a new boat in at least a year- too bad. nice well built and fast boats from all I could gather. handles the rough stuff too I guess if ya got the stones and ability.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Registered

Plowtownmissle, what kind of speeds do you see? 60 MPH? Like I stated before, I have looked at Bigredbaja's Sunsation several times but after seeing a Sunsation in person I was a little turned off of them. Plus I'm not crazy about the 496 motors... Uncle Dave I'm looking for a nice lake rig that won't have a problem with bigger water as Cumberland gets rough sometimes! From my research people were saying that Lavey's sit very shallow and you feelin like you're in a bass boat? This is what sucks about being in this part of the country and most of the boats I'd like to see are West Coast boats. I know I said it before but I had narrowed it down to a Nordic Heat MCOB and a Shockwave MCOB 29 which could be single or twins. I mentioned in my first post where I was planning on boating, lakes/rivers that can get rough. Bobl- I pm'd you

Last edited by Dirty_D; 02-24-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear cumberland can get brutal. IF you want a smoothie ride in the rough focus on models with the the tried and true 24 degree V.

Laveys have some of the deepest cockpit depth and beam per foot of anybody and are usually a foot or more longer than their size rating as Lavey does NOT include the swim step in the size so the 2750 is 28.6ft, and the 29 over 30.

Look up Indys write up on the heat - He gets into a good list of likes and don't likes about the model.

IF you get out here happy to show you around the boat circuit and go for an ocean ride.

Happy Hunting...

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 02-24-2015 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Changed Chris to Indy
Old 02-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghabeck
I guess the question is whats the budget and where are ya going boating- 1st of all baja doesn't make a mid cabin right?? so no comparison and don't want to offend Baja nation but I think your comparing to boats that are a bit more custom as well vs a more production boat- doesn't mean its bad, I would love one given the right circumstances but no comparison to say lavey or howard or even cobra for that matter- spose iam bias but I have looked at them (spent to much $ doing it too) also- believe the 26 cobra razor is 22 degree single step and quite bit faster than my 27 r that's 24 degree 2 step. the 26 shows just as roomy too, I get up to lake Ontario often so that's why I went with the 27. cool cruzin was that your boat on cobras facebook sight last yr ?? thats nice boat. and uncle dave - believe you posted quite a few pics of your lavey being built- I wanted one in the worst way, almost bought a used 29 from private owner but couldn't pull funds together at the time- lavey were closed up when I stoped by a couple a years ago and I was told they hadn't built a new boat in at least a year- too bad. nice well built and fast boats from all I could gather. handles the rough stuff too I guess if ya got the stones and ability.
Lavey delivered 2 awesome 28 Evos to Miami show then on to Germany right before Christmas, and a deck boat before that.

One even had a electric removable hatch.

They are still kicking...

UD
Attached Thumbnails I'd like some real world facts from mid cabin owners-28-evo.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Lavey delivered 2 awesome 28 Evos to Miami show then on to Germany right before Christmas, and a deck boat before that.

One even had a electric removable hatch.

They are still kicking...

UD
they need to do something with there web site- hasn't changed in 2 years- by a fluke I was just at 2015 Miami boat show- didn't see them but maybe that's not what your talking about or I just missed them- huge show - still drueling
Old 02-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

For the ultimate big MCOB there is a 47 Fountain MCOB (factory built) and a 41 Apache MCOB (Owner built) and a 51 Outerlimits MCOB (factory built) out there!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:02 PM
Registered

I have a Lavey NuEra 2750 MCOB. Similar vintage to UD's (2010) and we love the boat. I have owned Baja, Donzi, Cigarette and a variety of other reputable brands and I can tell you the build quality is second to no boat I have owned. I am anything but a casual user and use every bit of capability of my boats. I have been inside and out, from bow ring to prop nut of every boat I have owned which is the basis for my opinions.

Honestly for the boating we do (inland lakes of the northeast) prior to the Lavey, the boat we enjoyed most for all around boating was a 1990 Baja 250 ES. Not a MCOB but for all around manners, a spacious cockpit and how well it responded to power upgrades, it was with us the longest without a single regret .So I have a great admiration for the Baja brand for its performance, durability, ease of use and great value.

That said, we wanted the MCOB for the combination of added open space, a place to keep things secure or get out of the periodic bad weather we experience and the classic V-hull style and lines (don't like the blunt nosed deck or party style hulls). I also wanted something under 30 ft with good performance in a single engine that could get by with a Bravo style drive. I researched performance MCOB's including Sunsation, DCB, Howard, Eliminator, Lavey and you can find consistent opinions about each with searches on this site. The brands I listed are all quality brands each with their own strengths. Did not look too closely at Nordic due to the inability to close off cabin from main cockpit (like DCB) but they seem to have a deeper hull with more freeboard. They look heavier too.

I chose Lavey for many reasons but first and foremost for what I was able to learn about the build quality and the 24 degree Vee. It is a full lengthstringer, vacuum bagged construction with a fully molded fiberglass cockpit liner bonded to the hull before popping it from the mold. The Nuera line is built for rough water and is fast for its power and size which as UD points out does not include the integral swim platform. Our 2750 has great manners at any speed and is rock solid in the rough water. Cockpit is spacious with well thought out controls, gauges and seating position. I could go on and on but suffice it to say after a season of use and getting to know the boat, I have not second guessed my decision.

They make aNuera 2950 in closed or MCOB which would be awesome for larger lakes than we boat on and can be set up with twin engines if desired. There are a number of them with 525EFI singles and the owners love them. There is also one (set up as a single, Bravo) that has been for sale less power that would make a really nice ride if someone was willing to take on a project boat.

So my experience is a bit limited time-wise but surely first-hand and much more than skin deep. I did LOTS of research and for our needs the Lavey was the best fit (and did I mention it looks awesome). They are a high quality boat with, great lines that performs as good if not better than all the others I studied.
Well that's my opinion anyway and hope it helps.

Good luck with the search!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
For the ultimate big MCOB there is a 47 Fountain MCOB (factory built) and a 41 Apache MCOB (Owner built) and a 51 Outerlimits MCOB (factory built) out there!
There's a blue 39 velocity for sale too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.