Forward-facing Volvo Penta stern drive >

Forward-facing Volvo Penta stern drive

Notices

Forward-facing Volvo Penta stern drive

Old 03-06-2015, 01:19 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Basically this type of boat using the Volvo facing drive has positive results across the board from planning, tracking, acceleration, and docking. Top speed I can not say because I had no apples to apple comparison. I will say it seem the boat was more planted and seemed to handle rough water better than this type of boat using the standard sterndrive. The big negitives are trailering and clearances while trailering. Next one is impacts in the water of the props and drive.

If you really look at it, not much worse than the current wakeboard boat with impacts in the water plus trailering clearances. I do see possible higher repair costs depending on impacts with the Volvo. I would wonder if the boat builder adapted a fin or fins like a lot of wakeboard boats have midship if that would help avoid impact damages to the props and drive as acting like a deflector. Just saying.

keep in mind a lot of wakeboard boats are getter bigger and deeper plus carry a ton of ballast plus those apps always have a lot of people aboard. The prop under the hull sits pretty deep in the water as well.

Last edited by BUP; 03-06-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Me thinks I'd have a slight problem with this unit on my back-on lift.
Attached Thumbnails Forward-facing Volvo Penta stern drive-skeg.jpg  
Old 03-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Volvo clearly says that there is no performance gain versus a conventional sterndrive, just more adjustability to the boat's wake performance versus a shaft drive. There are over sixteen thousand (16,000) Volvo forward-facing IPS inboard pod systems out there, and debris strikes have not proven to be a major issue. When you're looking at replacing shafts and struts, those aren't cheap either.

Anyway - I just like to see creative thinking at work.

It's also kind of cool that it was introduced without all sorts of smoke, flashing lights and fanfare. Matt Trulio - Were you at the intro in Miami on February 11?

Last edited by C_Spray; 03-07-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Basically this type of boat using the Volvo facing drive has positive results across the board from planning, tracking, acceleration, and docking. Top speed I can not say because I had no apples to apple comparison. I will say it seem the boat was more planted and seemed to handle rough water better than this type of boat using the standard sterndrive. The big negitives are trailering and clearances while trailering. Next one is impacts in the water of the props and drive.

If you really look at it, not much worse than the current wakeboard boat with impacts in the water plus trailering clearances. I do see possible higher repair costs depending on impacts with the Volvo. I would wonder if the boat builder adapted a fin or fins like a lot of wakeboard boats have midship if that would help avoid impact damages to the props and drive as acting like a deflector. Just saying.

keep in mind a lot of wakeboard boats are getter bigger and deeper plus carry a ton of ballast plus those apps always have a lot of people aboard. The prop under the hull sits pretty deep in the water as well.
I agree. For what they are using/marketing it for I think it's a great option.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Compared to direct or V drives it should help with docking and trim. I see that.

My question is why would it be better then a conventional Outdrive? Is it just the clean water?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
My question is why would it be better then a conventional Outdrive? Is it just the clean water?
Wildman...Its a safety issue. Wake surfing with conventional is a no-no. I'm told actually illegal in some states.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

I've got to wonder if this has a home in the twin engine I/O cruiser market ?

My v drive cruiser friends say the v drives are better around the docks than I/O's
Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by High Cetane
Wildman...Its a safety issue. Wake surfing with conventional is a no-no. I'm told actually illegal in some states.
Didn't know that. We grew up with straight inboards, the closest we would get was off the barefoot boom or when we would step off the swim with our trick skis.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 PM
BUP
Banned

you would never want to surf behind an outboard board or a sterndrive.. I will say some do with a sterndrive boat that has a very long extended swim platform on them or one that was added on.

Watch the vid as many of the surfers are only 3 to 8 ft behind the boat. Not good when props come into play. Couple of vids one right after the other. Wake surfing is the lastest craze. Seems like everyone under 40 all way down to kids want to wake surf and that's another reason why 100 K wakeboard boats sell.

Its not for me but I know - use to sell wakeboard boats. Not a hard sale especially if it is a darn Malibu. The way to beat Malibu for sales was big discounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7axkSvrJU

Last edited by BUP; 03-06-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:17 PM
BUP
Banned

I talked with the engineers at Volvo in great lengths about the outdrive cooling water intakes as the props are directly in front of them spinning creating air pockets / cavitation and or blow out. Asked them how well can you keep the engine cooled putting the outdrive thru all kinds of paces on the water ?

They told me not an issue at all as they tested with under water cameras to watch water flow from the props to the water inlet intakes in the outdrive plus they monitored water pressure and engine temps exclusively during many hours of water testing.

When I drove the boat I kept watching the water temp gauge and tried to see if I could fluctuate it by trimming and turning the boat hard lefts and rights along with all different throttle settings. The darn water temp never moved nor even in reverse. Anyways water / engine temps and cooling was the first thing that came to mind as soon as I seen the outdrive in person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.