Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Towing with the new H2 Hummer! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32381-towing-new-h2-hummer.html)

BADA BING 09-06-2002 10:35 AM

Jim, I am sure the supercharger will help with getting that thing up to speed, but your biggest concern should not be pulling power, but stopping power...have who ever is tuning that truck order you up a big brake kit, either Baer brakes, or Brembo brakes:cool:
I would do this before heading for the London Bridge in Havasu, if not you may end up with plenty of stuffing for thanks giving:D

And Nort, the picture you posted was a SMART CAR:eek: not an A-class:confused: FYI, SMART CAR- 3cyl. turbo, top speed 65mph:p

:D :D

Semper Fi 09-06-2002 10:41 AM

I think that the new Hummer is a real sweet looking vehicle. When I was in the Marines, I really got to see what these Hummers can do--offroad.
However, I will strongly disagree that these are vehicles suited for towing heavy loads for many reasons. I do have alot of towing experience and I really think this vehicle is a bad choice for towing that 42' Tiger. The tow rating isn't even close. My two main concerns would be not enough braking power, and the short wheelbase of the Hummer. The truck to tow a boat this size would be the FORD PSD, DODGE 3500 cummings or the CHEVY/GMC Duramax, especially getting the crewcab for the longer wheelbase.
If you have ever towed a heavy load with a "short wheelbase" vehicle, you will know what scary is all about. Wait until he tries to take that thing down a big hill and the brakes aren't strong enough and the "lack" of length of the wheelbase will have him swerving in 2-3 different lanes.
He is really putting himself, passengers and his boat/truck--not too mention other people at risk if he plans to use this Hummer to tow that thing.

Semper Fi 09-06-2002 10:48 AM

Re: Re: Let Thou Educate !!!!!!This H2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Troutly
That is nice :)

You have plenty of power to get it moving. Problem is, it most likely doesn't have enough brakes to get it stopped if the trailer brakes are not up to par, or fail.

But, the big problem is....you still have a SHORT WHEELBASE vehicle that is very DANGEROUS to tow with due to it's short Polar Moment of Intertia. The shorter the wheelbase, the easier it is to get the vehicle to spin out, especially with large load behind it.

I THINK TROUTLY SAID ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID!!

Semper Fi 09-06-2002 11:03 AM

Re: Let Thou Educate !!!!!!This H2

Originally posted by Duila38
What Jeffrey failed to tell you was that this H2 is being equiped with an Eaton Supercharger, new Computer, and exhaust, this will boost Horsepower to 470 and Torque to about 580lbs.

For those of you that havent stood next to an H2, its about as wide as a dually and has much more stability in the front. It also weighs more than a 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4 at 6700lbs, shares the same transmission, and has a more intense frame structure. The transfer case is a Borg warner, with a crawl ratio of 33.1, running on a set of 35 12.50x18 Mudders!!!!!!!

So Common guys, I think I'll wait a couple of hours for you to CATCH UP! before I order you a Vodka Cranberry while im waiting for you at the London Bridge Hotel staring at my Tiger in the water!

Jim,
First I would like to say that Iv'e seen your Tiger in Long Beach and it's a beautiful boat, the Hummer is sweet also.
I really don't want to bust your bubble here, but it's very obvious you don't know "jack" about towing. If you think that Hummer has more stability than a dually--you're friggin clueless.
You're not grasping the concept that the wheelbase and the lack of braking power is a HUGE concern when towing. Yes, you can give the Hummer more power and improve the brakes, but you can't change the short wheelbase. I'm also guessing that your Hummer IS NOT a diesel because your adding a supercharger. How long do you think that motor will hold up? Not even close to a diesel.
I can post on this subject with some serious authority because I have towed alot of boats in my time and never, ever, ever had an accident because safety is #1. You obviously are doing well and enjoying life to be able to afford nice toys like you have---BUT--- because of your ignorance in this situation, you could lose it all. I'm sure you don't want that. Just trying to help.

RiverGirl 09-06-2002 11:32 AM

Re: I could'nt wait !

Originally posted by Duila38
How about triple Disc on a Myco, and 4x 13x1.5in Vented Disc

Love ya Nordy

eeeh....

Just the looks of the picture scares me.
I donnnoooo ....
Maybe the wifeeepoo would like a new Hummer....
Get a Dually or an Excursion sweetie...
I'd like to see that goofy smile again!

Norty... I love ya too!;)

Flyinbrian 09-06-2002 12:00 PM

Lots of money and confusion

You people need to start listening to Semper Fi, he hits the nail on the head.

The torque and braking insufficiency you can improve. The lack of wheelbase you cannot. When it comes time for you to make a sudden lane change, you better get ready for the ride. Hopefully you won't kill yourself and all of those around you on the freeway.

And no, an Excursion is not the answer. A long bed, four door, dually 1 ton or bigger is the only answer.

I am amazed at the constant ignorance on this subject.

cigarette1 09-06-2002 12:32 PM

Since we're talkin' tow trucks ... How much better is an F-350 CrewCab Dually than an F-350 CrewCab Long Bed Single rear wheel setup. Most boat towing is less than 30 miles one way with a couple of 700 mile round trips a year. I use my truck as a daily driver(gave up the sports car for a bigger boat:rolleyes: ) and really don't want to drive a dually around everyday. I currently tow a Cafe Racer(12,000# on trailer) with an F-350 CrewCab Shortbed without the slightest problem. I'm speaking of diesels.

G

PhantomChaos 09-06-2002 12:40 PM

Originally posted by BADA BING
And Nort, the picture you posted was a SMART CAR:eek: not an A-class:confused: FYI, SMART CAR- 3cyl. turbo, top speed 65mph:p

:D :D

You know...........I was thinking that when I posted it. The A-Class is another foot or two longer. Perhaps the A-Class has the same wheel base as the H2. :) Isn't the Smart Car made by Swatch and Mercedes or something?

Jeffrey 09-06-2002 03:18 PM

I knew this was going to be a good thread ... ha ha!:D

SummerObsession 09-06-2002 04:12 PM

To flyinbrians point:

...ignorance is bliss.....:rolleyes: