Notices

Ilmors in a Fastech 382

Old 03-16-2015, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ilmors in a Fastech 382

I am considering a 2013 Fastech with Ilmor 725 motors and have tried researching these boats and/or motors. It seemed as if there was a lot of hype from 2009-13 with Formula and Sunsation using them but it seems like Sunsation doesn't use them any longer and I see they're still offered from Formula but it seems very limited on what can be found. I've talked to Ilmor and they seem to be a top shelf company as is Formula but I am just curious on what others think with actual experience or from what they've heard from people who do own them. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The little bit of information I've found is nothing but positive but I'd like to hear any information regarding rebuild schedules or annual maintenance that should be done along with any personal test data anyone can provide. Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

i talked to ilmor at the miami show. They are no longer making the indy drives which were paired with those motors. And they aren't concentrating efforts to sell the 710 motors anymore. But you can still buy them from them and they are great motors and a great company. I would think they would still stand behind the drives but might worry about parts down the road.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Sunsation built one 43 with the package.....it really wasn't as fast as a Merc 700 boat and they even built it with a stripped cabin (Poker Run cabin). They built a few Ilmor 288's but I think they ended up in Greece for a dealer there.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Ilmor is a great company and puts out stellar products. With that being said If you are looking at a 382 with 725s, cross shop it against the 382 with 700s at Pier 57. Ilmor and Merc both have their pros and cons, look at support, industry product awareness, and parts availability. My major concern would be future parts availability.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:02 AM
Registered

I talked to Ilmor regarding the future availability of parts and service and they said that they have discontinued the motors to the general public but they are still offering them to select boat builders. They said the cost of keeping them in inventory was too high. They did say they will offer parts and service for the motors/drives. My biggest concern is in 5 years trying to sell a boat that was a fad back in 2010 is now a tough boat to sell because the motors, even though possibly awesome, don't have the history and/or reputation that Merc has...
Old 03-16-2015, 08:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
Ilmor is a great company and puts out stellar products. With that being said If you are looking at a 382 with 725s, cross shop it against the 382 with 700s at Pier 57. Ilmor and Merc both have their pros and cons, look at support, industry product awareness, and parts availability. My major concern would be future parts availability.
Pier 57 doesn't have much inventory regarding 700s...they have a 2008 for 200k with a pending status and Cumberland Marine has a couple with a 600 and 700 about 200k....there really isn't too much out there in new years to cross shop..
Old 03-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Registered

So Ilmor discontinued their v-10's and drives? People swore they would take down mercury. Guess not. Another footnote in marine history I guess.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:22 AM
Registered

From what I was told by the Ilmor folks, yes, they have discontinued them to the general public and have removed them from their website but they did say they are still working with select boat builders on a limited basis...I am only referring to the mv10-725 motors...they still offer an expansive line of v8 motors...I really like the idea of the Ilmor but again, in 5 or 6 years if I am to try to sell the boats and these are so limited in public awareness that I may be stuck with a 200k vessel that only a handful of people understand..that's MY biggest fear..I think I will have the support, especially with them in Plymouth, MI and I am also in MI....
Old 03-16-2015, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Illmor did right by the market coming out with a competitive product which seems to have been better quality. A company can't survive if product isn't selling. Inventory is what will KILL any company.

600 and 700 merc boats were and still are being produced hand over fist. Can't blame in on Illmor for the market not taking advantage of a new product. Marine history? Ya, I guess the market stayed steadfast with what they were familiar with.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't be too worried about parts on an Ilmor, there's a pretty healthy Viper aftermarket and they aren't THAT different. But, I think once the general consensus on here turns bad it will murder resale.

That's too bad they have quit selling them largely. I know I'd love to have an Ilmor powered boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.