Notices

800hp through an xr drive

Old 06-22-2015, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
Yaep . Lots of extras. It's still about 15 grand a pop for the drives. I think you can bolt on an upper and lower directly to a Bravo set up ..
+ helmet swap .
Old 06-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

I don't see that on his price list?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

My estimates were for complete engine back builds to compare against the same using XR's. The single engine Duramax boat I owned had a new "out of the box" XR setup, which broke a shaft within just a few hours. They had IMCO go through the drive, and it's still going strong today with over 300hrs. But all the Dmax conversions they've done since are SCX builds, which are holding up well out of the box. I actually know of a standard Bravo I behind mild one in river only use...

As mentioned by someone above, the vertical shaft seems to be a weakest point when comparing apples to apples on new zero hour units. Once they get some age, I'd agree gear wear comes into play on both models. If I owned Bravo's now, I'd likely just upgrade to SCX's or beef up the XR's I had and try not to abuse them. But I'm weighing costs to buying ASD8's or used #6's that can take a beating in a new build rather than just upgrading to handle more power..
Old 06-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
My bad.

I was including tax and external steering costs in that 35k. Here is the quote I received for SCX drives and hardware without external steering or tax. I was told that was my "dealer cost" from a company I purchase performance parts from. Not sure of list price.

I can tell you that the Arnesons are less $$$$$$$$$$$ than the quote you posted here for an I/O.

Everyone seems to forget all the parts one needs to have in order to be able to actually use these things, and then they look out our pricing as to high but yet don't realize that ours is a COMPLETE price for the Arneson Drive and for everything from the studs, nuts, washers, hoses etc..
Old 06-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by kidturbo
My estimates were for complete engine back builds to compare against the same using XR's. The single engine Duramax boat I owned had a new "out of the box" XR setup, which broke a shaft within just a few hours. They had IMCO go through the drive, and it's still going strong today with over 300hrs. But all the Dmax conversions they've done since are SCX builds, which are holding up well out of the box. I actually know of a standard Bravo I behind mild one in river only use...

As mentioned by someone above, the vertical shaft seems to be a weakest point when comparing apples to apples on new zero hour units. Once they get some age, I'd agree gear wear comes into play on both models. If I owned Bravo's now, I'd likely just upgrade to SCX's or beef up the XR's I had and try not to abuse them. But I'm weighing costs to buying ASD8's or used #6's that can take a beating in a new build rather than just upgrading to handle more power..
New ASD 8's for a Diesel setup are about 1/2 of that I/O Quote.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:34 AM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

Thanks Rik.

I believe we have a mutual friend out there who recently started testing an 8 behind a cranked up Duramax in a heavy boat ?? If so, please remind him to have you get in touch with me...

I've actually been waiting to see how his OD trans setup works out before I decided. A 1:1 gear ratio is the thing you guys can offer that the I/O versions do not. That's the difference between Torque and Horse Power, and why I remain skeptical of XR's behind a heavy boat with loads of it.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

You know Dave Oulett?