Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Video in Link of 600' Bulk Carrier Ship Running Aground on Delaware River/Burlington >

Video in Link of 600' Bulk Carrier Ship Running Aground on Delaware River/Burlington

Notices

Video in Link of 600' Bulk Carrier Ship Running Aground on Delaware River/Burlington

Old 04-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video in Link of 600' Bulk Carrier Ship Running Aground on Delaware River/Burlington

Video captures moment ship runs aground near Burlington Bristol Bridge

PAULSBORO, N.J. (WPVI) --

An investigation is underway into what caused a 600-foot bulk carrier ship to run aground in the Delaware River.

Coast Guard investigators boarded the Agia Irini from Monrovia, Liberia Thursday morning to begin their inquiry.

Dramatic video captured the incident as it happened around 2:00 p.m. Wednesday.

The U.S. Coast Guard says the ship was on its way to Tampa, Florida when it lost propulsion, causing it to run aground north of the Burlington Bristol Bridge in Burlington City.

There were no injuries aboard the steel carrier, and no fuel leaked into the river as a result of the incident.

The vessel was re-floated, then towed to the Mantua Creek Anchorage port facility in Paulsboro, N.J., where it remained on Thursday.

Bystanders who witnessed the incident Wednesday said it was a frightening experience.

Jeff Jones said it looked like the Titanic was coming at him.

"I didn't think it was gonna stop. I thought it was just gonna run toward me... saw that big bow coming after me," he said.

Andrew Acholes was there as well.

"You could tell it wasn't gonna be turning at all because of how fast it was coming, and it wasn't adjusting, making any attempt to turn," he said.

Acholes was fishing with Jones when he shot the dramatic video as the freighter came to a stop in the mud, just feet from shore.

"It scared the heck out of us, and we didn't know what the heck was going on," said Jones.

Witnesses said it took tugboats 15-20 minutes Wednesday afternoon to pull the ship from the mud, point it in the correct direction, and move it downriver.

The ship is considered to be on administrative hold, either anchored or docked, while the incident is investigated.

http://6abc.com/news/video-captures-...bridge/603790/
Old 04-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bad, I was sending a tweet
Old 04-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"It looked like the Titanic!"
So that's the guy putting all those Cigarette Decals on other powerboats and making false claims. I see we finally caught up to him.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 04-08-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 446 Likes on 244 Posts

hmmmm there was a tug along side that looks like he came close to grounding too. those big engines stall quite a bit when first getting underway it takes a long time to get everything up to temp to light the heavy oil, we call it a sneez the captain calls it.... Oh ship!