Help! P-29 dies when put into gear?? >

Help! P-29 dies when put into gear??

Notices

Help! P-29 dies when put into gear??

Old 09-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544959[/ATTACH]

This is in gear at idol 650rpm looks fine to me. I did have a lab top hooked up to both of them and he said starboard was fine port was alittle off. All stock settings set, it didn't make any difference. His next suggestion was to go threw the throttle body's again, clean the injectors and check the timing. I talked to a shop today that wants a crack at it and its on deck for them to give it a go.
Attached Thumbnails Help! P-29 dies when put into gear??-image.jpg  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:23 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If your boat starts very easy and idles very smoothly and accelerates quickly with no hesitation and can reach WOT specs with no problems most likely your injectors are not a problem nor your fuel pressure.

your manuals were printed and dated in the early to mid 90's and again if I recall down the road a couple to 5 years later the idle rpms for these engines with blackhawks were changed. I could be wrong but again I remembered something to that effect.

Also you need to a use scan tool to check all parameters especially idle rpms digitally instead of going by old analog gauges in which most of the time are not that precise with their readings.

hell I got a boat in that has a analog temp gauge that is off 27 degrees and the gauge is less than 10 years old and the coolant temp sensor is brand new.

I would like to see the scan showing the correct idle rpms and a fully warmed up engines to spesc rather than the analog gauges and go from there. Make sure your engine are at the correct fully warmed operating temps as well. Just saying

Last edited by BUP; 09-09-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul Harvey the rest of the story.

Both caps were corroded bad and the rotor bugs were the same. Also replaced wires and plugs. Took it out late yersterday to LOTO shifted it 20+ times port died once but the timing is off and we ran out of day light. After all the time and money I spent it needed a tune up lol. Now I can start growing my hair back...
Attached Thumbnails Help! P-29 dies when put into gear??-image.jpg   Help! P-29 dies when put into gear??-image.jpg  

Last edited by nova26; 02-21-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Glad you figured it out. See post 15 from April 2015.

Thanks for the update!

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 02-21-2016 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Few take the time to give updates...
Old 02-21-2016, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nova26
Paul Harvey the rest of the story.

Both caps were corroded bad and the rotor bugs were the same. Also replaced wires and plugs. Took it out late yersterday to LOTO shifted it 20+ times port died once but the timing is off and we ran out of day light. After all the time and money I spent it need a tune up lol. Now I can start growing my hair back...
I'm happy you solved he issue, I guess growing up in the 70s it was one of the first things checked for us older types! Can't remember how many times I pulled the cap to have a look see, dried off moisture or just cleaned it up and motored on.