Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What happened to the magazines? >

What happened to the magazines?

Notices

What happened to the magazines?

Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

What happened to all print media? The internet has killed them all. When is the last time you read a newspaper? Look what FREE Craigslist has done to classified sections in newspapers.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
What happened to all print media? The internet has killed them all. When is the last time you read a newspaper? Look what FREE Craigslist has done to classified sections in newspapers.
or the mail box for that matter
Old 05-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
Daily News almost every day LOL!
Old 05-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by klaatutooyou
this is how things ended up . mags are gone .
sorry to hurt any feelings .I m sure youre matt is a great guy . I like youre stuff ON THE INTERNET .
You didn't hurt any feelings. If you don't have a thick skin, you don't do this job. Public critique and comment come with the territory.

It is indeed how things ended. It's just that the path it took to get there is significantly different than the one you suggested. (Obviously, we've adapted ... many others did not and they're no longer in this business.)

But to your overriding point: There's a reason why don't you don't find "old school" boat reviews in our digital magazine. We simply don't think they're relevant and it is impossible to do them without bias. So instead, when we write about a boat we tell the story of the boat, not just what it was like to be on or drive, but how it fits into the marketplace, what the owner thinks, and so on. We believe that's a far better presentation than a format that is, frankly, outdated. Power to those media outlets who still want to do boat tests. But for us, it's the wrong direction.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Registered

western union , a lot of people ,business,s and a country thrived because of them .( theyre gone )

Magazines are much the same , commercialy the intent was to advertise .that's where they made income , hence a business .

Now they are leaving , and the change is hard .I loved getting them ,ill miss em.

However high tech is replacing them with the unwritten pages we know now.

Technology is nothing more than withdrawal from the past .

We move forward , that's what we do .

I can easily see a day without ( NEW ) magazines .

Last edited by klaatutooyou; 05-05-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,232 Posts

western union , a lot of people ,business,s and a country thrived because of them .( theyre gone )

Magazines are much the same , commercialy the intent was to advertise .that's where they made income , hence a business .

Now they are leaving , and the change is hard .I loved getting them ,ill miss em.

I can easily see a day without magazines .
And yet ... certain vertical (key word) magazines are thriving. I could name two dozen off the top of my head.

I am not going to tip my hand, but to do print and succeed these days you have to think differently. But it can be done because it's being done. Trust me, I have been in the publishing industry for 30 years, on the digital side for 15 of those. This isn't my hobby. I will never know all there is to know about publishing, but my views are formed through endless observation and learning, and some experience.

When TV became popular, radio was going to "disappear." And yet radio is alive and well. It did, however, have to reinvent itself. Same with any print magazine that hopes to succeed—and it's a very, very tall order. But it can be done.

Just watch.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 05-04-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I can easily see a day without magazines .
My house is full of magazines...tons of them...many of them are not going anywhere.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
And yet ... certain vertical (key word) magazines are thriving. I could name two dozen off the top of my head.

I am not going to tip my hand, but to do print and succeed these days you have to think differently. But it can be done because it's being done. Trust me, I have been in the publishing industry for 30 years, on the digital side for 15 of those. This isn't my hobby. I will never know all there is to know about publishing, but my views are formed through endless observation and learning, and some experience.

When TV became popular, radio was going to "disappear." And yet radio is alive and well. It did, however, have to reinvent itself. Same with any print magazine that hopes to succeed—and it's a very, very tall order. But it can be done.

Just watch.
I Will , and I hope it comes to be just as you say .Since you have such a passion for it just may.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magazines died when you could read your smart phone on the toilet or anywhere else to kill a little time.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked you post, probably inappropriate because I miss the actual pages of the magazine, the feel of the pages, and the fact that I could read on a plane, (or in my bathroom) I do read most of your articles Matt Trulio and appreciate your coverage of a sport that is almost an orphan. Thanks for the work and spreading the word about boating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.