Notices

Outboard re-power help

Old 09-09-2002, 10:21 AM
RHUMMER

Default Outboard re-power help

Looking to replace these OMC v-8's. Looking for suggestions as well as riggers in NJ. Boat weighs 12000Lbs.

Thanks

Chip
Attached Thumbnails Outboard re-power help-pic00012.jpg  

Old 09-09-2002, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggestion

As I see it you have two choices. 1st is a set ot Pro Max 300 Mercs. 2nd would a set of Merc 225 Optimaxs. Since your boat looks more like a fishing rig the second choice might be a better way to go. A friend of mine has a 31 Cig with triple 225 Mercs Optis and that things is awesome for fishing because those motors idle very well but also run good on the top end. Let me know how it goes!
Old 09-09-2002, 12:33 PM
RHUMMER

Iv'e heard that the ProMax 300's don't like to idle but generate alot of top end speed. I need low end torque as well. I don't want to get caught under powering my boat.

Thanks for the replies
Attached Thumbnails Outboard re-power help-pic00003.jpg  

Old 09-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Offshore Addiction

we can help but were outa tampa,whats the problem with those,blown up,run like crap,what.......mercs would be nice,but you'll need at least three for that weight,promaxs would be better but there tempermental with all that weight....can put 250 yamahas,they dont seem to ***** about all the weight as much,or I can go totally thru those....still have a bunch of customers running them with standard boating problems,water in fuel,hitting things....standard stuff......let us know or call 813-980-2566

Old 09-09-2002, 01:09 PM
RHUMMER

Starboard, smokes like a *****, broke a drive shaft, intermitent overtemp horn. Port, replaced power head, jumps out of gear. intermitent over temp horn. I have removed the vro's to eliminate that worry. Are these good motors? I have little confidence Starboard 1987, port rebuild 2000. Starboard has 50 hrs port 15 hours. What else can go wrong. I have been fighting these motors for three years and am very frustrated. I think the dealer that I a working with is just trying to sell me a pair of new Yamaha's. Looking for the straight poop!!!! Can't trust dealers up here!

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks

Old 09-09-2002, 07:02 PM
Registered

Default VelocityMike

Is your friends boat a center console Cig?
I have a 31 with tripple Merc 220's
I've seen a few out there. I've got some pictures of a black hull that was in with the paperwork I got when I bought my boat.
Cordell
Old 09-09-2002, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey how are you... i work for a yamaha dealer here on long island (nassau county) 250 yamahas would probably be the way to go if you are looking for reliability.. the new high prassure injected ones would drink a hell of alot less fuel then those big 300's.. plus the 250 yamahas dont mind the weight as much.. as some of the other more tempermental high pressure systems out there.. any questions drop me an e-mail @ [email protected] or yo can call the salesman where i work .. his name is dan and he is a straight forward guy who will be happy to answer your questions.. as far as rigging goes that is our specialty . we rerig a ton of older boats every year .. k&k outboard 516-431-1865
Old 09-10-2002, 08:03 AM
RHUMMER

Thanks for the responses, do you think the Yamaha 3.3l HPDI would genrate the same low end torque as well as the high speed as my 275's.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2002, 09:33 AM
Registered

chip,

right now i would have to agree and say the yamaha's are the best choice. the best place to buy them would be coty marine. three locations. seaside heights, tom's river and perth amboy. here is his phone number 732 293 3200. ask for rich coty and tell him eric treadwell sent you. they will take good care of you. if there is a problem wich there should not be get in touch with me. they have been in bussiness for 15 plus years and have a very good reputation. i used to buy all my motors from him when i was racing outboards. now i just help them at boat show's once and awhile. they sell both brands merc and yamahas. they know there motors very well and will tell you the best to go with plus nobody will beat there prices. he has been the outboard king for years.

Eric Treadwell
Old 09-10-2002, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Yamahas. The BEST way to go for your particular application. If teh choice of dealers so far are unsatisfactory, try Chris Hyde at Hyde's RV and Boats in Rexford, NY. He does meticulous work and is extremely reasonable in the price category as well. 518-399-1057

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Outboard re-power help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.