Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake Cumberland Poker Run (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32631-lake-cumberland-poker-run.html)

wild willy 09-10-2002 11:25 AM

brian; you are right on as for the great expence that it takes to be in the poker run!! i also don't want to throw away the money that i can use to finish boating for the rest of the season! it is nice to be able to see these offshore boats that other wise we would not have the chance to see. to me this is a good form of income for the organizers. just my 2 cents worth. bill:rolleyes:

290PQ 09-10-2002 11:40 AM

Good point Bill, We met Bob from the "Smoke on The Water Poker Run" He said there run raised $27,000 for "Make a Wish" a childrens charity:) I wonder how much this run raised and for who:confused:

jspeeddemon 09-10-2002 12:26 PM

I think the idea was to have a an affordable party for the boaters to get together at different places and enjoy the sport and pleasure of performance boating. I guess that is a different definition for everyone. I am glad to watch on the sidelines and enjoy the great show put on by the proud, and deservedly so, boat owners. I have a GREAT time anytime I can be on the water. In or out with that much heavy iron in the water it had to be a hell of a show. I'm with ya, I'm not looking to pad anyone else's pockets with money I can spend on my boat. Do the numbers and someone walked away with some cash. I like the idea that poker run profits go to a credible cause like MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION, it would make the additional cost, you guys are skeptical of, a lot easier to swallow.

Flyinbrian 09-10-2002 12:32 PM

I know I'm going to piss someone off with this one....

Quoting from the Mid American Boating Association's website, "Prizes are awarded to the top four poker hands. It includes meals (the best in the business), banquet, fun filled days of excitement, and a party with awesome entertainment."

OK,
175 boats X $395=$69125
$7100 in prize money

Who did they hire for entertainment, Gart Brooks? The Rolling Stones? :rolleyes:

Luv-N-It 09-10-2002 12:53 PM

I agree with everyone else here about the poker run and the cash it takes to get involved. Although, I'm not trying to make anyone mad, becuase I consider myself apart of this statement...

If you lower the entry fee and cost of this "type" of poker run, it will allow any Joe (including me) to become a participant. Therefore, you will have a huge ass poker run (which I'm not against). It would be more difficult to organzie, run, and keep it safe. Having said that, you will not get to see the "best performance boats" in the country at poker runs like this.

These guys come to these events becuase they know there will be a limited number of people who can afford participation in events like this. It will give them the opportunity to "run like hell" and bust the water like they did for you at Cumberland. Just something to think about and its my .02 Just my thought here and I'm not trying to make sides or draw lines. Enough said.

Mike
:confused:

birdog 09-10-2002 01:17 PM

Any time you guys want to do a " poor mans " Poker run...
count me in ! 400 for a party & some burgers.....Not me !

Luv-N-It 09-10-2002 01:23 PM

Heck it seems as if there is enough interest now! Someone grab this bull and go. Count me in!
:D :D :D

39 Unlimited 09-10-2002 01:47 PM

I watched the return from Conley and the run to Grider and the 2 Outterlimits boats were clearly in front!!!!

Dano 09-10-2002 01:50 PM

These aren't Poker Runs per se but there is a Fun Run 9/21 at 2pm for performance boats out of Watertown Marina and a Cincy to Louisville run 10/5-6. The one on the 21st is just a bunch of the TSPBA go-fast guys getting together and tearing it up.

birdog 09-10-2002 01:58 PM

Damn Dano.........Everytime you guys plan something Im at
Lake Erie !!!............Is it my breath?