If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Registered Platinum Member
    My Boats:
    Powerboat Freak,,Cold Beer, Hot Women
    Houston, TX

Boat markets of Step and non-Step hulls..

I had a question for you guys??

Do you think , from surfing the used boat market that companies that have changed to NEW step design hulls have caused their conventional hull prices to be driven down?

I was just wondering if anyone has observed this.

My Boats:
    1984 Chris Cat
    Troy, Mich

Red face Oh Boy

I want to see the responses this brings!:eek

Member #2 ....Jeeezz Charter Member cigarette1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Toy Boat - Toy Boat - Toy Boat
    Kicked to the curb
    Better yet ... What happens to the resale value of a Stepped model after it has a New and Improved step system for the next model year.

Charter Member #415 Charter Member
    My Boats:
    1968 Switzer Shooting Star,1967 Switzer Shooting Star,1963 Glasspar G-3
    This is kind of like do you want a Ford,chevy,or Dodge truck? For every prospect that doen't want a conventional vee there is someone who does't want a step hullThe market varies due to a lot of factors,i. e.,what brands and what dealers are strong in the area. A strong Baja dealer won't worry about trading in a vee,a strong Fountain dealer would probrably take either,as I would take any Formula,step or not. Probrably same with Cig dealers. This of course is just an opinion,hard facts in our industry are hard to sort out. NADA and others only take MSRP(as supplied by the builder) and deduct X% each quarter. I think it is more an issue of condition,engines,etc.As a dealer I don't look at atrade in as step or non-step,I look at the total package and what I think it will bring,that is the only way I know how to do it,that has worked for us long before the step/non-step argument.

Charter Member #34 Charter Member Dock Holiday's Avatar
    Beautiful North Carolina
    Interesting Thread.

Let me first start by saying that this in no way is meant to be a negative comment about Fountain. My best boating buddies own Fountains and I have a lot of respect for them.

But I cannot understand the return of the 35 Single step. Is this meant to get more people into a Fountain who may not be able to afford a twin step.

Or does this mean that Fountain has the twin step over price and is their way of kinda dropping the price.

Or is it just good marketing?

The price difference between the two it too great in my opinion. I cannot believe you cannot build either one for about the same money.

Would love to hear some opinions.

My Boats:
    Avanti 1986
    Crystal River, FL
    Of course, new and improved alway's takes value from recently replaced models. A very good example is car manufacturing ! every few years the same model will change style and entice new buyers. Also some will change there old version for the newer version.
    Fear not, there is also a good market for the older version on the used market.