Super Boat International : Live Broadcast Commentary Clarification

Old 05-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Boat International : Live Broadcast Commentary Clarification

Live Broadcast Commentary Clarification

By Superboat on May 19, 2015 in Blog

On behalf of Super Boat International, we take this moment to clarify any statements made during the final race of the Space Coast Grand Prix that implied Team STIHL or any other following boats should have stopped at the site of the accident and assisted with the crash. Teams are instructed in the pre-race drivers meeting to give a wide birth and allow safety personnel to ascertain the incident. Team Broadco had overtaken WHM, who was experiencing mechanical problems and then barrel-rolled their boat over while heading toward turn number 2. It was inferred that the remaining teams should have stopped to assist and not continue racing. All of the race teams, including Team STIHL have equal compassion and the best interests of their fellow racers in mind. WHM did return to the race course after resolving their mechanical problems with only a few laps remaining.

Team STIHL, CMS and Miss GEICO followed the instructions precisely as outlined in the mandatory early morning meeting. The broadcast content is intended to be accurate, timely, and at the same time, not be based on assumptions. We will make every effort to provide the best live broadcast possible for teams and race fans in the
Old 05-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I watched the livestream last night, after returning from the race on Sunday, and noticed that the commentary of why WHM slowed and returned to the crane wasn't correct; that in turn implied what's stated above. Live broadcasting is just that... the announcers do their best to convey what's happening, but aren't always right.

Standing at the end of the pier on Sunday, I was wondering why WHM pulled off the course and later returned. I found out during the awards banquet, that WHM had slowed due to an electrical gremlin, went to the crane, but on the way over it resolved itself, so they went back to the course and continued racing. It had no correlation to Broadco's unfortunate incident. All the other boats were operating within the rules.

Congrats to all teams for competing in the races; they put on a great show. And thanks to SBI for the event, and to Kerry & crew for the fantastic venue. See you there next year!
Old 05-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzi ZX
Thanks! I watched the livestream last night, after returning from the race on Sunday, and noticed that the commentary of why WHM slowed and returned to the crane wasn't correct; that in turn implied what's stated above. Live broadcasting is just that... the announcers do their best to convey what's happening, but aren't always right.

Standing at the end of the pier on Sunday, I was wondering why WHM pulled off the course and later returned. I found out during the awards banquet, that WHM had slowed due to an electrical gremlin, went to the crane, but on the way over it resolved itself, so they went back to the course and continued racing. It had no correlation to Broadco's unfortunate incident. All the other boats were operating within the rules.

Congrats to all teams for competing in the races; they put on a great show. And thanks to SBI for the event, and to Kerry & crew for the fantastic venue. See you there next year!
Its almost like a typhoon blew in and confused things .

thanx for clarifying what most knew was the truth .

all of the competitors are real sportsman , they also know
to allow sfety crews to do their job and not clutter the area unless requested or needed .
Old 05-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

So while things are getting clarified, how about some explanation on the superboat extreme race!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flat rate
So while things are getting clarified, how about some explanation on the superboat extreme race!
Whats the question??
Old 05-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Whats the question??
This is the question he has asked on several threads with no response to date

Originally Posted by flat rate
I'm still curious about Lucas oil racing TM and instigator. Is it another game of the rules don't apply to all? Build a new spec engine class and 2 guys build new engines and rerig there boats. Lucas oil decides not to and still gets points and gets to race?!?

Last edited by F1-00 Racing; 05-21-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last i heard was that Lucas was building new motor, but he has a huge weight disadvantage so the class voted to give it a shot. There are 2 other SVE that should be done soon and this might change depending on how they vote.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:47 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Last i heard was that Lucas was building new motor, but he has a huge weight disadvantage so the class voted to give it a shot. There are 2 other SVE that should be done soon and this might change depending on how they vote.

That seems to be a very plausible and likely explanation, though an official explanation from the organization (and that has been asked for) would put it to rest. Like everyone else, I scratched my head when Lucas Oil/SilverHook came out with Twisted Metal and Instigator. But I think what people don't necessarily realize is there's a lot of discretion among the competitors within the classes (just as you pointed out) on what can be permitted. In numerous occasions throughout the years, SBI's John Carbonell has said he wants racers to have the kind of control ("Settle things among themselves" is the expression I've heard.) At the Nationals in Clearwater in 2013, Miss GEICO stepped up to the Turbine class so the Spirit of Qatar team's turbine cat would have some competition. True, that's a step up (so to speak) in class, which should be less of a threat to the boats with more power, but it's still a good example of how much say the racers have. The teams agreed and, has Miss GEICO prevailed, a piston-powered boat would have walked away with a Turbine-class victory.

Despite that the rules don't prohibit V-bottoms from competing in the Unlimited class, Lucas Oil always was an odd fit against the likes of Miss GEICO and CMS. How it works out in the future, as Franks points out, will be interesting to see and in some part shaped by the other competitors in the class.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 05-22-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

It wouldn't fit the rules even with legal engines. My understanding it can't have a rudder like superboat. #6 or steerable arnson drive
Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

If it was agreed on by the other race teams (Hooters and Twisted Metal) I find it odd that one of the announcers, Peter Meyer, who owns the Hooters team, was not aware that Lucas was running in his class until the other commentator told him during the first race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.