Notices

Salt water help

Old 05-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Like I said, the ONLY way to repair the saltwater damage is REPLACE.
That many years of salt has eaten away some parts and clogged up the others..
To put in perspective last year I bought a boat (Formula) knowing it started it's life in Long Beach, CA and has spent at least the last 10 years in either OK. or Dallas, TX. fresh water only.
The boat looked good and recently "rebuilt" (read fixed from internal damage). I knew what to really expect so I brought the boat home.
I planned on a year or so nut/bolt redo but here are some of the boat suicide things I have found.
Intake manifold below the thermostat housing rotted almost completely through to valley area because of constant saltwater blasting of water. I finished poking a hole in it with a small screwdriver.
Exhaust manifolds were completely "flacking metal" especially at water exit from risers. Manifold internal metal flaking from body. Exhaust manifold bolts break instead of loosening.
Cracked exhaust valves and terrible seats in rear cylinders of heads, (thank you exhaust water reversion).
All trim/tilt pump bodies rusting on cases and around screws. All electrical motors needing attention. Badly corroded connectors especially around high amp areas, pumps, starter, .solenoids, larger breakers well you get the idea.
Back to the point 'YOU CANNOT WASH 15 YEARS OF UGLY OFF A SALTWATER BOAT!!!! period IT TAKES SURGERY.
Pics avail of parts removed from boat.'
By the way saltwater boating is the best. I plan on this boat being destroyed in salt but I will have a closed cooling system before seeing salt.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:26 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Salt water. VS frost, freeze and poor winterization. Hmm.. NO BRAINER. I boat in salt water, and you could not tell. But I'm pretty anal about the upkeep and desalting, wash down, etc. EVERY time. Salt won't hurt much. Lack of maintenance does. AND yessss in the salt it takes a hellava more upkeep. But I would never by a boat that's been in winter, several times, especially an older boat. Unless the owner is your bro, and it was kept in heated storage all it's life. Most don't realize the damage is done to boats, fiberglass, engines, rubber, gaskets. etc. in freezing temps. I run like hell from the "winter boats". And I been in the winter enough. too.

Yeh, I have to replace my truck too every year because of being in the North.

That was the craziest thing I have ever heard.

Many 20-30yr old boats here with original motors/exhausts/outdives...oh, and hulls. LOL.

Vey fresh water and at times -10 to -20F during winter with ost boats stored out side shrinkwrapped. Cooling systems winterized obviously.

Last edited by SB; 05-23-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
The ONLY thing the saltwater DEFINATLY damages are:
Outdrives, Oil Coolers, Intake Manifolds, Exhaust Systems, Motors and anything else NOT Stainless.
The ONLY way to fix Saltwater corrosion I know of is REPLACE.
NO WAY I would consider a 15 year old all saltwater boat as reliable.
Salt water can cause quite a few issues but most of which can be minimized with proper maintenance. Concentrate on finding a well cared for boat whether salt or fresh, but to eliminate a boat just because of salt water use?? Going a little overboard there..
Old 05-23-2015, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Salt water has a bad name but properly taken care of with flushing and zincs its not bad. I just sold a saltwater boat that was in in much better shape than my new to me freshwater boat
Old 05-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have much choice about winter being in upstate ny. That said I haven't seen issues with my past boats either after being properly winterized and stored in a cold garage. Im definitely no mechanic however. I mis spoke earlier about motors being freshened, they were actually rebuilt with internals replaced 20 hours ago. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about what I should be looking for when evaluating motors. I was thrown off because the boat is very clean with no obvious corrosion my blind eye could see, but again maybe I missed some obvious important stuff. Maybe it was meticulously maintained as owner says and it looks but only he really knows. I simply can't afford to have a grenade after the first 5 hours. I was hoping that moving it to freshwater would stop any current unseen salt issues from progressing since now it seems to be good. Apparently that's not the case.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 4,271 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I have to rebuild my house every spring, the cold just kills the wood! lol
Old 05-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

I am in salt, and would take a well maintained salt boat over a boat that had average maint and went through freezing winters.

Salt requires more corrosion prevention maint but having to properly winterizing is just as much if not more work, so either getting done is just as likely imo
Old 05-24-2015, 12:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boat was fresh water its whole life except the last two years I was in salt water. I only ran it about 8 times in the salt because I would spend 2-3 hours flushing and washing the boat after so I didn't use it much. Spending all day in the sun on the boat and then another 2-3 hours flushing and washing the boat in the sun in the driveway sucked. My boat and trailer (aluminum) looks just as good as it did in fresh water. If it was properly maintained a salt boat should be ok. I'm glad I just moved back to MI and can enjoy fresh water boating again.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:22 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know what you were planning on spending but I have a '92 32' Fountain I'll sell. I am the second owner, first owner only used on Grand Lake Oklahoma and now it's at LOTO were I use it. Outside of boat was redone in the mid 2000's having the bow rails removed and new imron paint. The interior was redone by me in 2007. My family owns Parker Marine at the lake so maintenance was religiously performed every season. Fresh water 100% of it's life. Twin 502 carbed, runs 73.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

I disagree with all that has been said about salt water boats. I own a 94 top gun that has seen a lot of salt water time and am willing to bet it's one of the cleanest top guns around. Properly maintained and flushed makes a big difference. make sure you give it a thorough inspection and survey before buying. good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.