Notices

Salt water help

Old 05-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Salt requires more maintenance, if the maintenance is done it's a non issue. Fresh water has a much higher tendency to rot the wood. Seen many fresh water boats with way more rot than just about any salt water boat I've dealt with.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently there's a lot of varying opinions on the subject... Thanks for the input guys
Old 05-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know why your search was unsuccessful because these threads show up frequently. And they always get the same negative responses. The truth is it's all in the maintenance. I'll take a well maintained SW boat over put up wet FW boat any day. Fresh water flushing and washing after every use is critical. And inside storage is even better as it keeps it out of the salt air. Been there done that! Just gotta know what to look for.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Macklin; 05-24-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I'll back every salt water boat I've owned against a fresh water equivalent, no problem. It's all in the maintenance. If the boat has been pampered and engines flushed after every use you should not have any issues.

Salt water requires a bit more care but in the right hands, it shouldn't make any difference. Closed cooling is a definite plus.

Do your testing and research, survey the boat if you're not an expert, due diligence and you should be OK.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

RR
Old 05-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Nuff said that salt does present additional challenges that can be overcome.

Can't believe that nobody has brought up the different challenges due to different freshwater "types" - northeast vs southwest freshwater. Very different ph's and corrosives from upstate NY to LOTO to Mead etc...
Old 05-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonichunter
Apparently there's a lot of varying opinions on the subject... Thanks for the input guys
Ford.......Chevy
Old 10-26-2015, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, what does it take to completely desalt a boat? (if it is even possible)
Old 10-26-2015, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Ford.......Chevy
yeah but DODGE is the best!

All joking aside, yes it is just like Ford/Chevy arguments on salt/no salt.

I can say a salt water boat can be tough on metal parts. I bought a brand new boat and within 2 years the trim pump brackets were rusted like they came off the titanic! That being said, 90% of performance boats have been used in salt water! Every Nortech, Outerlimits, Cigarette had their first test drive in salt water near the factories! Then everyone wants to do the KW Poker Run and guess what, back in the evil salt water for days without being rinsed, desalted, etc. It is all in the maintenance regardless of where it came from. The only thing I'm not sure about (that was posted) is the drives......pretty sure they will be fine unless they are left in the salt water submerged for seasons or if they get water intrusion. The drives still looked great after 5 years, as did the paint/fiberglass.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 572 Likes on 237 Posts

i don't care how often and how much care you take fliushing a motor, the second you turn it off at any stop along your day the corrosion begins.

A 10 year old motor flushed after every outing is still starting to get at the end of its life.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza

A 10 year old motor flushed after every outing is still starting to get at the end of its life.
Don't mention that on the 11 year old 51 Outerlimits thread.......that boat is made of gold and must have titanium 1075s!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.