Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The art of being a throttleman..... >

The art of being a throttleman.....

Notices

The art of being a throttleman.....

Old 09-10-2002, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The art of being a throttleman.....

As this is only my second offshore boat.... I am still on the learning curve when it comes to operating it in the rough stuff.....I know you have to develop a feel for the boat and anticipate but was wondering if some of you more experienced people could shed some light on this subject......
Old 09-10-2002, 08:57 AM
Registered

we'd have to kill ya...plus it's not how you do something, it's when you do it!!!!...best thing to do is get in a boat w/a throttleman that knows what's up.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:07 AM
Bayley

Joe,
Do you think there is any more, or less, skill in throttling verse driving? A friend and myself always like to joke around about the idea of running a P class boat in a few races (for fun). I picked Keith's brain for a good hour at the Coastal Poker Run. I didn't get a chance to talk to you and ask what your opinion was, but I was meaning to. What's your advice to getting started?

-Bayley

Old 09-10-2002, 09:16 AM
Registered

you need both a skilled throttleman and driver to win races in f1 and f2 racing!....i'm not a fan of p class...not into busting up a pleasure boat...get into a bat boat to start or f1/f2...and don't do it with a pleasure boat. keep it in the water....fly level....keep it off the chines....sounds easy doesn't it??LOL
Old 09-10-2002, 09:18 AM
Registered

It's crazy to me, in my cat, I drive, my friend Cary throttles, he can throttle this thing good too, but we've been doing it since 94 when we got the boat. When I try to throttle it, we are nowhere near the speeds he achieves when throttleing, it seems crazy, but that's how it is. In my v-hull, I feel really comfortable driving and throttling where I wouldn't even attempt it at high speeds in the cat. There is a definite learning curve, and it really takes a while to get the hang of. It invovles alot of factors too. Alot of it to me is feel, you feel and know when the boat is about to come out, and you know when it will re-enter, and if your timing isn't just right you'll be scrubbing speed, or over-revving the motors in the air, which bravo's really wont put up with, so error on the side of caution, but most of all, give it time, and have fun, and make sure to wear a teather and jacket in the snotty stuff just incase. I have gotten into the habbit in the cat, where I really cant feel comfortable without my jacket and teather on. Cant say the same for the v-hull, but it's nowhere near as fast, and this lake doesn't get too rough, but when it does I dont push it. Most of all, be safe
Old 09-10-2002, 09:49 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Bayley
Joe,
Do you think there is any more, or less, skill in throttling verse driving? A friend and myself always like to joke around about the idea of running a P class boat in a few races (for fun). I picked Keith's brain for a good hour at the Coastal Poker Run. I didn't get a chance to talk to you and ask what your opinion was, but I was meaning to. What's your advice to getting started?

-Bayley
Way more skill on the throttles. It can mean the difference between a smooth and bumpy ride. When the throttle man is on his game it can be an unbelievable ride, when he's not....ouch.

There are several outstanding throttlemen that will teach you for hire. I'm talking the top 3 or 4 in the country. How much you want to spend?

Racing and poker running are two entirely different animals. If you race to win, when things get sloppy you can't slow down. You need to stay in it otherwise you'll get passed. It's an incredible experience and if you have the chance, go race. You'll never think about boating the same way again.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before you even worry about throttleing or driving you have to pair up with sombody you trust implicitly. both of you have to be able to leave the bull**** at the doc and work as a team. nobody is better then the other, it is 50/50. you must be able to agree on everthing. after that then both of you have to figure out how the boat likes to run. after you figure that out then you have to be able to talk back and forth to each other, tell one a nother what the boat needs at that point. if the driver say's the bow is to high then the trottleman must lower the bow. even thow you might scrub speed the driver is asking for it for a reason. if this is done with no hesitation then you will do very well together. a lot of problems come from the trottleman thinking he has the boat running right but does not because he cannot feel the boat without the wheel. since he does not have the wheel he must rely on the driver to tell him how the boat is. the driver must rely on the throttleman for acheiving top speed. the trottleman can tell the driver where and how the top speed is.

as far as your initial question in rough water. it takes time.listen to the driver. and it's not necceserialy timing it's feel. you should be able to close your eye's and feel the boat. you should be able to feel the prop's leaving the water ( that's when you pull back) and when the props hit the water ( thats when you floor it) ans keep going.

that should do ya. the rest you have to learn on your own. nothing like seat time.

Treadwell

Last edited by Treadwellmotorsports; 09-10-2002 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mr velocity,

you are absolouty dead wrong and i will prove it any day of the week. first of all it is 50/50 without a good driver you are going nowere fast. both men must be in sink. but in all reality a good driver can coach a not so good throttleman through a course if he listens.

Treadwell
Old 09-10-2002, 09:58 AM
Bayley

I've been thinking about the Bat Boat idea. Some of the offers I hear about almost seem "too good" to be true. I got a guy I trust 100% I'm just not sure that either one (or both) of us are up to the task. I guess that's why the Bat Boat is so appealing. If it's not my game, no big loss. I'll just try not to get into too many boat's path. Maybe in another few years or so I'll try it, need to knock off a few liquor stores first.

P.S. Anyone got some good links for the Bat Boat's racing programs?

Old 09-10-2002, 10:03 AM
Registered

way more skill!!!!...come on...i would agree if we were talking about running a poker run! NOT in a F2 or F1 boat in the front...at the apba pro series...i'll tell you right now that we push hard as hell in the corrners and in BIG water for that matter, if ya don't think so look at savanah, with keith at the wheel....put someone that w/o that skill in that seat and we'd be a back marker!!

Quick Reply: The art of being a throttleman.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.