Notices

New leftover boat pricing

Old 05-31-2015, 12:36 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New leftover boat pricing

I have run across a new 2008 leftover new boat. What is a fair price to pay for this scenario. I understand the dilemma of the dealer but it becomes a used 7 year old boat the minute it's titled. Any thoughts from the gurus?
Old 05-31-2015, 04:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make of boat, size, power etc.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I would start out by pricing it like the 2008 that it IS, and then add some $$$$ to the price you offer the dealer (what's it worth to YOU) for the super low hours and mint condition.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did exactly what perfect storm said. It really comes down to how much you want that boat. I probably paid a bit more because it's exactly what I was looking for. After having it for a year and seeing a couple of boats come up for sale pretty close to what I bought, I felt better the extra I paid was pretty close to the asking prices of those boats. In the end, most loose $$, just how much, that's boating.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:19 AM
Registered

Doral 245 Cuddy with probably every option. I know Doral went out of business and that is part of why it is still sitting. Nicely optioned good colors nothing goofy about it otherwise,
Old 05-31-2015, 10:53 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

do not forget it will need a new impeller and all the fuel system looked at including the gas tank if any formation took place of fuel or condensation . Electric fuel pumps hate to sit idle if fuel has been in them and so do fuel injectors & carbs. It will need a new battery and I would change the oils because of condensation that has built up over the years. I would see if all warranties still applies for whomever the manu is of the boat, engine and drive.

Trailer tires and brakes another thing to consider checking closely. Also make sure if the boat is at the dealership that the techs did not parts rob something to fix a service boat that they were working on to get it done during the summer rush.. I promise this can be common from left over boat inventory. Matter of fact that is pretty common I been guilty of it myself. Just saying.

Last edited by BUP; 05-31-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:33 AM
Registered

They did say that all the fluids would be changed and it will be completely gone through. I will also inspect things myself as it is not my first and I have a good idea what to look for. We are still figuring out a trailers there is not one now. I appreciate the feedback!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not i went though this very same scenario exactly the same. In essence a large auto dealer started a marina and hired a bunch or indrustry reps to run the place. They started small and used a large facility to store the boat's and as things go they ran the place into the ground..(high priced boats average income community) A buddy of mine finally took it over and started clearing inventory and setting up a true retail operation i was visiting him one day we were talking about how big of a mess he cleaned up when here comes this 20' open bow still in wrap, he mentioned he was still having surprise's and this was one of them a new 5yr old boat he had just found in his storage facility. The guys took off the wrap and it was in perfect condition aside from the gel being dead and the interior had pink spots all over the place and Steve being Steve laughed and asked do you want to buy a boat....i might be so it went.

We simply used Nada's high book value then deducted 3 k for the pink interior and it's off to the FI dept. The guy pushes a warranty and being in the business i felt like i had to buy something so i asked about Volvo's 2+2 new warranty since the boat had never been titled it should qualifiy...get that done and i will buy the warranty.... he got it done which meant i had NEW warranty from Wellcraft and extended from Volvo....guess who paid for a new interior.

Sorry about the long dribble but i will never forget it.. we used nada retail bought a extended warranty and the mfg was obligated under law to honor there warranty...i still have the boat and the only issue it ever had was the water pump had seized and of course that was under warranty. Be careful of engine seals they can harden over time and leak like a sieve.

Last edited by Pliant; 05-31-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:22 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

technically speaking a 2008 boat currently would be an 8 year old boat.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a buddy just went throught the same scenario. It came down to financing for him. the lenders would only value the boat at book value of a 2008 used boat. killed the deal for him as the marina would not come down to that price

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.