Boat Customs’ 308 Skater Flat Deck Conversion Complete

Notices

Boat Customs’ 308 Skater Flat Deck Conversion Complete

Old 06-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 555 Likes on 264 Posts
Default Boat Customs’ 308 Skater Flat Deck Conversion Complete

The 308 Skater Flat Deck conversion from Boat Customs is finished and owner Sam Jirik is excited to use the 30-footer this summer.

http://speedonthewater.com/boat-rest...rsion-complete
Old 06-15-2015, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Bring that thing to Skaterfest Sam!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

It was definitely worth the effort Sam. Peter needs you on retainer for design consultation.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:07 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did it affect top speed since it runs so much flatter?
Old 06-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

man that skater turned out awesome! great to finally see it. don't think I want to ride in it though, won't want to get back in mine lol
Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

WOW! Amazing boat, great ideas, and awesome work by Boat Customs! I stopped by and checked it out during the build and man am I in love!

Congrats to all involved
Old 06-15-2015, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great looking boat. Congrats!
Old 06-16-2015, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CLA
Did it affect top speed since it runs so much flatter?
Thanks for the compliments guys. It was a big effort by all involved. Chris and crew were very dedicated to getting the project done and I appreciate them letting me get my hands dirty so to speak. Everything was custom built to fit me perfectly. From the dash,windshield, kick board and console. Jim Lee re-tooled his windshield molds to accommodate the wider cockpit we went with. The receiver was narrow enough to get 2 + 4 seating and yet have good walk around on the deck without widening the hull. The cockpit depth was increased 8" by moving the kick board up 6" and the rear seat back 2'. All the electronic controls were mounted to the dash bulkhead and are easily accessible from the forward hatches.

We went with CZone digital switching system designed and set up by Ron Muller of Electronics unlimited. It allows switching from any of the displays and the Garmin 7610 has a WIFI connection to my iPad which allows remote access and control to all of the system. I used my existing JL Audio 7.7 MX speakers and added two JL Audio 10' subs and another amp. I replaced the old head unit with the new remote Fusion BB300 black box which is NMEA compliant and is controlled by any of the screens and iPad or iPhone. All the electronic controls were mounted to the dash bulkhead and are easily accessible from the forward hatches.

Batteries, trim pumps, and jackplate pumps were place in the bow. This along with the change in the deck and windshield make the boat less flighty and run more level. I may move some of the weight to the rear as we dial it in. It handles the rough better as it tends to fly more level without the bow popping up as much as it used to before the conversion.

I still have a lot of tweaking to do with the set up. I did consistently get the boat up to 95-96 and one run up to 97.5 before loosing water pressure to the motors. It may require increasing the depth of the water ramps to allow increased engine hieghts. The old hull and deck ran 98 consistently with the old CG and windscreens up with a best run of 102. I believe I will see that number again once dialed in. If the 400R's work out I plan to change to that power after a season or two. Otherwise it is a very economical boat so to speak and it runs and handles great for the type of boating I do. Another consideration is DBR mods to the existing 300XS's.

In the front seats the wind is negligible and my wife really enjoys that and the viability. In the back seat the wind is not as bad but still significant enough that you know your hauling booty. My daughter actually told my wife she preferred the pack seat as it still felt like were going 90! Visibility to form the back seat is dramatically improve allowing everyone to see forward and out the sides.

Craig with Appearance Products reupholstered the interior, provided the carpet and made a new tonneau cover.

Last edited by skate; 06-16-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 553 Likes on 336 Posts

Congratulations!

Wow you can really see the difference in ride attitude before and after

Luvin' the rooster tail too

Photo Credit: http://speedonthewater.com

My favorite pic, just sitting on the lake and lookin' bad ash

Last edited by noli; 06-16-2015 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It came out amazing, great work Sam and Boat Customs!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.