Old 06-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads up things are getting ....well you decide

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Res...307545121.html
Old 06-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is no joke. A Canadian coast guard ship has been parked off a major Canadian channel along the us/ Canadian border the last couple weeks. This channel is frequently used for Americans to go from US waters to a popular US public beach via this Canadian channel for a few miles. I have been coming up to the islands for 20 years and have seen this ship two or three times before. This year I have seen it 3 times already and a few smaller Canadian boats. Not sure what they are up to with all of this but they can supposedly fine you a minimum of $1000 on the spot or confiscate your boat (this actually has happened).
Old 06-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by 82predictor
This is no joke. A Canadian coast guard ship has been parked off a major Canadian channel along the us/ Canadian border the last couple weeks. This channel is frequently used for Americans to go from US waters to a popular US public beach via this Canadian channel for a few miles. I have been coming up to the islands for 20 years and have seen this ship two or three times before. This year I have seen it 3 times already and a few smaller Canadian boats. Not sure what they are up to with all of this but they can supposedly fine you a minimum of $1000 on the spot or confiscate your boat (this actually has happened).
Got a link to any verified stories of confiscated boats?
Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Got a link to any verified stories of confiscated boats?
i googled it http://www.northcountrypublicradio.o...e-boat-seizure
Old 06-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good read,

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/o...-laws-20150616

Here in Buffalo there is no way of entering Lake Erie w/o passing thru Canadian waters at some point, I work at a local marina and after 9/11 and the rule changes/enforcement we lost alotta boaters who were tired of the hassel, this is even worse given our waterways, if they start enforcing this I see many more boaters throwing in the towel, I will make a adjustment and start boating on inland lakes
Old 06-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Registered

Very interesting read. Thx to all above for the links.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
Good read,

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/o...-laws-20150616

Here in Buffalo there is no way of entering Lake Erie w/o passing thru Canadian waters at some point, I work at a local marina and after 9/11 and the rule changes/enforcement we lost alotta boaters who were tired of the hassel, this is even worse given our waterways, if they start enforcing this I see many more boaters throwing in the towel, I will make a adjustment and start boating on inland lakes
Hey Sam, do you see this impacting the Poker Run?

Padraig
Old 06-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig

Padraig
good question as it leaves and enters again Ca waters a number of times

sure they could offer a one day exception for participants, but what about spectators?
and what does that say if they continue to hassle the little guy the average fisherman or river rat like us?

what about going thru the rift? where the border runs right down the middle of one boat wide?

what a total bunch of BS
somebody pissed somebody off far above our heads.

I had seen this on the local news when it first broke and forgot about it. just put the boat in the water and glad you posted as first destination is Potters on a nice day!
I always go behind Grindstone between it and that batch of Ca state park islands. beautiful route to see and drive.
Can't believe I'd have to go around the US side longer us side route and PITA littered with shoals on the shortest of those routes

Last edited by Rippem; 06-21-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

ya its getting worse and worse every year. as a US citizen our family owns property on the river on the canadian side.

my uncle, who owns the island next to us, (3 or 4 years ago) took his family into alex bay for ice cream after dinner, didnt bother checking in, because most of the time is really is a hassle, one way or another, the coast guard basically figured out that they did not check in, and gave him a huge fine, and it cost thousands in lawyers fee's just to allow him back into canada.

also, about 2 years ago i also heard of many fisherman's boat getting confiscated that summer.

none the less, even early this season we have noticed a drastic decrease in boats on the river in general. it was 80 and sunny all weekend and only saw really a hand full of boats... the canadians are getting NASTY with open containers on boats as well. made my mom dump a bottle of wine they had on the boat early this season just out for cheese and crackers and wine with friends on the boat with my father driving..

i am hoping something will change, but we dont see it changing any time soon. so many businesses are struggling with lost tourists up there.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig

Padraig
I have family in the area and when i saw this i made a call, You need to call and get the advanced go ahead they will fine you and if you get cocky with the wrong guy your boat is gone its quite bad and getting worse each year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.