Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How long for a mechanic to touch your boat at the shop? >

How long for a mechanic to touch your boat at the shop?

Notices

How long for a mechanic to touch your boat at the shop?

Old 06-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
And what backs up shops in the marine industry this time of year is 50 to 100 calls per day of price shoppers who by the stroke of luck think a true marine shop is going to have all the parts they need cheaper than EBAY. 8 out out 10 calls are a huge waste of time and tie me up 50 % of my day. So in return makes me 50 % of time further behind. And the rest of the calls and or texts are from I have no idea why your even own a boat nor how they made this far in life.

RING RING - HELLO - I need a starter -

OK for what ?

My boat

OK I figured that

It wont turn over

OK for what application

Its for my Sea Ray

OK for what motor application

I don t know

OK inboard or Outboard

Its black

OK sorry I have to go now so when you figure out what you have call me back if your want to. Jeepers.
We have one guy (poor bastard) who literally spends his whole day on the phone with folks just like this. This may explain why he drinks.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
And what backs up shops in the marine industry this time of year is 50 to 100 calls per day of price shoppers who by the stroke of luck think a true marine shop is going to have all the parts they need cheaper than EBAY. 8 out out 10 calls are a huge waste of time and tie me up 50 % of my day. So in return makes me 50 % of time further behind. And the rest of the calls and or texts are from I have no idea why your even own a boat nor how they made this far in life.

RING RING - HELLO - I need a starter -

OK for what ?

My boat

OK I figured that

It wont turn over

OK for what application

Its for my Sea Ray

OK for what motor application

I don t know

OK inboard or Outboard

Its black

OK sorry I have to go now so when you figure out what you have call me back if your want to. Jeepers.

I'm not that nice anymore.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Yep happens all the time. I've started opening conversations with I'm not even close to the cheapest guy around any more questions?
Old 06-28-2015, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Adding 30% on top of the bill works good for me
Old 06-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ah price shoppers . I have refered a few to the vision of that ammco transmission commercial with the 3 monkeys beating a transmission with plastic baseball bats . About the only way to make lemons into lemonade with those folks
Old 06-29-2015, 11:47 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake
Bring them some Beer & Pizza. If your boat isn't in the shop say OOPS sorry I thought you were working on my boat.
Take the beer and pizza and leave.
Similar here, but not.

It's amazing what a Dunkies (Dunkin Donuts Coffee) and a nice set of boobs (with a good attitude) will do for you. Right to the top and way cheaper !

I'm dead serious.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB
Similar here, but not.

It's amazing what a Dunkies (Dunkin Donuts Coffee) and a nice set of boobs (with a good attitude) will do for you. Right to the top and way cheaper !

I'm dead serious.
"Never underestimate the power of cleavage" Photochick..
Old 06-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Every other year, I question why I bother bringing my boat up to NJ from Florida.
Yes I live in NJ but it never fails, I break something (small or large) and loose 1/2 the summer, It always takes one to two weeks to just get it in the shop or look at it, then it takes a week to take it apart and diagnose, two - four weeks to get x,y,z in parts or send things out to be rebuilt, and then maybe another week or two to put it back together.
Right now it is six weeks and counting since I blew my drive and it is still being rebuilt. I have tried multiple different places and always seem to end up with the same scenario.
Sometimes I think I should just leave it in Florida and run it down there where I know and trust some great people.

Oh and to top it all off.... I prepaid the bill to expedite the shipping and turnaround time!

Last edited by Tom A.; 06-29-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Sunday after the Cig run I decided to leave my boat at LOTO to do the Support the troops run this past weekend. Performance Boat Center got on it doing the 100 hour service. Pulled the boat out, 3 oil changes, fuel filters, impellers, drives serviced, fixed 2 props, and the boat was spotless and backed into the slip Thursday afternoon when I got there. It was so nice to have the boat ready to go and not have to mess with any BS or excuses. Thank you AJ, Brett, and the entire PBC crew for a job well done and running a marine business the proper way.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 588 Likes on 270 Posts

I second ^^^^ That! Had 3 different issues during the Cig run and they jumped Right on it!
Great guys and very good Crew!

Then I had to burn all the Fuel before I loaded it up.. NO PROBLEM lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.