Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake Marion vs. Lake Murray for Performance Boating, Pros Cons? >

Lake Marion vs. Lake Murray for Performance Boating, Pros Cons?

Notices

Lake Marion vs. Lake Murray for Performance Boating, Pros Cons?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Lake Marion vs. Lake Murray for Performance Boating, Pros Cons?

I’ve been looking at possibly purchasing a retirement condo and have been looking at the Lake Murray area, which has many condos with deeded boat slips available. I’ve also come across a few condos with slips on Lake Marion near the I-95 Bridge in Santee, SC. It appears that Lake Marion is susceptible to varying water depths while Lake Murray has a more constant water depth. I do like the fact that from Lake Marion you can access Charleston Harbor via the Santee River and canals. I’ll be buying another outboard powered performance boat in the 28’ – 30’ length. Just wanted to get any informed opinions on the pros and cons of both areas from a performance boater’s viewpoint. Thanks
Old 06-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Anybody know how much it is to rent a small place up in those two areas?
Thinking about heading up that way for a few weeks.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Ing
Registered

Thanks for hijacking my thread.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, Lake marion isn't for performance boaters. Marion and Moultree both were flooded with trees still standing. those trees are now at the surface or just below. Both have channels you can run in (that were cleared) and you can run along the shore since ~300 ft from shore was cleared (in most places). Lower part of Marion has a straight channel to Moutree; upper part has a twisty channel that follows the old river bed. Moutree has a straight channel to the locks. Go 5 ft the other side of the markers and you are in submerged trees. Channels are also full of fishing boats going to fishing spots.

Now, having said that, I've stayed in the condos at the I95 bridge and they are nice. Took the boat and rented a dock right there. You have a clear shot to the channel, and you can leave from there and go to the lock on Moultree and then down to Charleston. Very nice trip. But as far as going fast, etc. that trip is about it.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:29 AM
Registered

One other point - one set of the condos @ I95 bidge on Marion is timeshare, although some owners did not sell to Wyndham. If you buy one of those, your neighbors will change daily. If it was me, I'd not buy into those.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Ing
Registered

apollard that's excellent and invaluable info on the areas and greatly appreciated. What's the noise and dust like with I95 so close by?
Old 06-29-2015, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Ing
Thanks for hijacking my thread.
My Bad....so sorry
Old 06-29-2015, 05:27 PM
Ing
Registered

Originally Posted by lucky strike
My Bad....so sorry
Thanks. All good!
Old 06-29-2015, 06:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Go to Boat Freaks .org and ask your questions. There are hundreds of boaters from that area that can give you every detail on the lakes . These people are very friendly and always willing to help a fellow boater.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:36 PM
Registered

I live on Murray so I'm partial to that lake. I have done the trip down the river through the locks from Marion. You have to be real careful on Marion and stay around the Chanel markers. I also got hassled at the locks about noise restrictions on that lake. Murray is pretty power boat friendly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.