Notices

SBI 2015 Geico vs CMS

Old 07-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Am I missing something? I thought the class was unlimited? Do what you want with motor type of thing. Gas piston only.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Unlimiteds are shaping up for a kick a$$ racing this weekend. It will be all out speed Sunday with the flat conditions on the bay side. Like to sèe Envy turn it up a notch.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Am I missing something? I thought the class was unlimited? Do what you want with motor type of thing. Gas piston only.
Unlimited indeed. If CMS has found HP north of 1800 good for them. I am certain Stray and the Geico guys have as much info on that subject as well.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Registered

I'm not really sure what's going on with the Geico crew. Compared to years past, there were lots more testing videos, pr excitement, and race starts. I hope the loss at Cocoa, and a DNS at marathon, and 2 CMS wins in as many races are not a sign of things heading south.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:36 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

A twin turbo 4 valve head motor maxed at 1650?..... You would have to screw up not to make 1650. Or if you throw E85 in the mix...... Just to put this in perspective, an E85 BBC with a screw compressor makes over 1800....

Obviously MGR & CMS would do everything they can to get what they can from their "1650's".... MGR even has a dyno at their shop. It's an unlimited class after-all, right?

Irregardless of the fact that there is a limited number of competitors in this class, I still think the unlimited class and its few contenders are great for the sport. Like Matt Trulio and Dave Scott said, most of this technology they help develop and test will trickle down to the consumer at some point down the road.....

Last edited by Coolerman; 07-08-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Registered

I was in Marathon and was told ( Do not know if its true) That during testing the fire suppression system was activated by mistake and both of MG's motors were Chemical fogged leaving them beyond repair at the race site
Old 07-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Racer
Racer

We did not have a fire nor did any of our fire systems go off. The Miss Geico performance wise is very strong. Unfortunately, we could not run multiple laps at full strength without temping our engines. We did not come to race CMS at half throttle or have to make excuses about guardian. We have been racing up north where the climate and water was cooler. The 85 deg water temp in the keys coupled with 95 deg air temp was enough to push us over the line and we believe the Intercoolers are not capable of handling extended periods at full throttle/boost in their current configuration. It was just not worth it to hurt our motors if we did not have the fix readily available.

The motors are back on the dyno and Stray will be implement his solution and we should be good. Both CMS boats did not finish the Marathon event due to tech difficulties and they were just cruising so understand that we are all facing challenges.

The big question is where are the other Unlimited boats. Envy ?? halfway through.. no races Performance ...halfway through 1 race. Alex and Ani - No races CRC..No races
Old 07-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
We did not have a fire nor did any of our fire systems go off. The Miss Geico performance wise is very strong. Unfortunately, we could not run multiple laps at full strength without temping our engines. We did not come to race CMS at half throttle or have to make excuses about guardian. We have been racing up north where the climate and water was cooler. The 85 deg water temp in the keys coupled with 95 deg air temp was enough to push us over the line and we believe the Intercoolers are not capable of handling extended periods at full throttle/boost in their current configuration. It was just not worth it to hurt our motors if we did not have the fix readily available.

The motors are back on the dyno and Stray will be implement his solution and we should be good. Both CMS boats did not finish the Marathon event due to tech difficulties and they were just cruising so understand that we are all facing challenges.

The big question is where are the other Unlimited boats. Envy ?? halfway through.. no races Performance ...halfway through 1 race. Alex and Ani - No races CRC..No races
Thanks for the update. Here's an update on the others, from what I know. It's prob old news to MGR, but not for everyone else.

Performance Marine / Marine Concept / Speed Racer - they were all set for Marathon. They were keeping right up w/ CMS in the Lake Race (per Randy), until they lost a belt. They were getting ready to run Marathon, and blew a motor during testing, days before the event. Too bad - would've been great to see how the team performed with Grant B at the throttles. The blown motor appeared to be catastrophic (parts exiting the side of the block), and they have no spare engines. Definitely a major blow to a smaller budget team. No further updates.

Envy - Chris had a personal conflict, and chose not to run Marathon. He wanted to run Cocoa Beach (he was there), however found metal shavings in the BPM drive, and chose not to race, until the issue was fixed. This has been a recurring issue. His next plans are to run the upcoming Poker Run at Lake Lanier, and then either Michigan City or Pensacola, if Lanier goes well. With Pensacola out, that leaves Michigan as the next available race.

Alex & Ani - Jimmy is happy to announce his partnership with Alex & Ani has been renewed for 2015. He just dyno'd his motors last month, getting a solid 1500 - 1550 HP on the new motors. Hopefully he can get this package onto the water for Michigan City.

CRC - haven't heard a thing.

Last edited by Donzi ZX; 07-09-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

They were keeping right up w/ CMS in the Lake Race (per Randy),

Per Randy Kent or Randy Scism? All jokes aside, Marine Concept was running and looking good at the lake race and I wish them the best. I'm sure it's a tough task to be competitive with the larger budget teams.

Last edited by WARPARTY36; 07-09-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
They were keeping right up w/ CMS in the Lake Race (per Randy),

Per Randy Kent or Randy Scism? All jokes aside, Marine Concept was running and looking good at the lake race and I wish them the best. I'm sure it's a tough task to be competitive with the larger budget teams.

Marine Concepts / Performance Boat Center / Speed Racer is running stronger than it ever has in the past. Here is the truth. All the guys at Performance Boat Center kicked ass and re-rigged the boat in 2 weeks, which is like unheard of, but they did it. We showed up at the lake race with only 10 minutes to spare before qualifying. We went right from the shop to the crane with no test time. Myrick Coil is new with me this year, and has never throttled a race before, and it was our first time in the boat together, which in itself is a big handicap not having seat time together. Anyway I believe Johnny T and Jeff Harris in CMS quailed with a time of 2:04, then Randy S and Bob B went out in the 52 CMS and got 2:05, we just showed up and made a lap of 2:06. Now we were 1 second from Randy S and 2 from Johnny T. These 2 guys are the best throttleman in the world with lots of seat time with there drivers and the boats. For my and Myricks first time out in a untested boat with no seat time to be only 1 second off, I'm not ashamed of that because we will only get faster with more time together. Myrick did a fantastic job on the sticks, I could have done better in my turns. As far as power, we were right beside them and we hit the rev limiters about half way down the straits, 4 laps of that and the blower belt couldn't take it any more, the blower belt also took out the oil pump belt, even though we shut it down quickly, it apparently wasn't fast enough because we lost a bearing and ended up breaking the crank the day before we were to leave for Marathon. The motor is at Mark Boos getting fixed and we got bigger props to keep it off the limiters, so the boat is even faster now. As long as the water isn't too rough I think we have a shot.

Thanks to everyone for your support and will see ya at the races!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.