Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
IF you had to choose, which boat????? >

IF you had to choose, which boat?????

Notices

IF you had to choose, which boat?????

Old 07-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the call and the formula is now gone. Thanks for the replies but now its between the Mach 1 and the Liberator. BTW, can ANYONE please post a link with info on the Mach 1, I really cant seem to find ANY info about that particular boat, I would really appreciate it and thanks again.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Put twin small blocks in the Formula.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Those aren't chryslers in that mach 1, they are 340 horse 460 fords. It's an OMC cobra dog clutch outdrive. I would stay away from it. Too much work.

If you really want a project you should look for a more desirable hull that is in better shape. There are a few other Formulas around and I think that would be a better candidate for a restore.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Registered

Here is the cl ad...... http://burlington.craigslist.org/boa/5100008806.html
Just to get a better idea of this boat.

Last edited by jdinvt; 07-01-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Registered

The Mach should be free for hauling it away. As others have said, you would have years of restoring unless you are retired and lots $$$ invested. I'd bet there are a lot of boats in the $10-$15k range that you could put on the water tomorrow and be farther ahead with you time and $$$. I know a guy was just bought a 23' (I think) Liberator from a lady who's husband had passed for less that $10k. After he rubbed it out and a little TLC it looked like brand new. If I'm buying a boat, I want to use it.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't limit yourself to these three specific boats. Look for another Formula.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Registered

As far as the boats go, its all there is in my area so theres not much around here. Im just looking for a project boat to do to keep me busy as im disabled and want something to do to pass the time away, im not in any rush to get out on the water but I do miss it. Im not rich so I cant look for a running boat in the 10k range, running and needing not much work, dont really have much to work with here or thats what I would do in the first place.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Registered

With whatever you decide to go with, start a new thread so we can watch your progress. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Registered

Thanks feverz, I will do that. I made the choice tonight and pretty much didnt listen to anyones input so I probably made a big mistake but we will see I guess. I ended up going with the Mach 1 because I went to take a look at it and it really didnt seem that bad as it looks in the pics. The floor is not there but less work for me, both motors turned over, the drives move up and down, the hull was actually in GREAT shape, the inside of the cuddy wasnt bad at all.....The price....... $200 because his wife said IT HAS TO GO!!!! Now I just need to find a dealership that will pick it up for me to get it home then I can start working on it. I will make a new post with more pics when I get it here and of progress. My main goal for this year will be to get both motors running, change all the fluids including the drives, basic tune up stuff, pull the valve covers to give it a check over and go from there. I would also like to get the floor done so that way when next year comes around, I can at least get her in the water and run it as I work on the rest. Thanks for everyones input even know I decided to go against it all.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

460 fords arent horrible engines. Decent bbc copies. The cobras are decent merc copies. And not so scarce. You can still find them and parts reasonably. You will probably need manifolds and risers and they can be a little pricey. They can be leak tested and pressure tested though. A lot of boats like this have 1 to 300 hours on them in their lives and spent 15 or more years under a tree getting killed by the elements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.